Home » *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Easter, Free Museum Day, San Francisco
Asian Art Museum Free Admission Day | SF
Every 1st Sunday
Submitted by the Event Organizer
POSTPONED due to Shelter in Place
Through the power of art, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco brings the diverse cultures of Asia to life. Located in the heart of San Francisco, the museum is home to one of the world’s finest collections of Asian art, boasting more than 18,000 awe-inspiring artworks ranging from ancient jades and ceramics to contemporary video installations.
You will also have access to the special exhibition Awaken: A Tibetan Buddhist Journey Toward Enlightenment. Meditate on more than 100 vibrant Himalayan Buddhist paintings, sculptures, and textiles designed to bring about enlightenment, or awakening. The exhibition gently guides you from the turmoil of daily life to a peaceful state of self-knowledge.
Free First Sundays
Typically the first Sunday of the month
Asian Art Museum, 200 Larkin Street SF
FREE admission to permanent galleries (first come first served)
RSVP + Timed Tickets Required – Get Tickets for Nov. 1
– Find future dates on this calendar
– please note that these links generally will be live about a month in advance
We’ve enacted the following policies to ensure the health and safety of our guests and staff. For a full list of our COVID-19 measures, please check our Plan Your Visit page.
- A face covering must be worn at all times while you are in the museum. Masks with valves are not allowed.
- Coat and bag check are temporarily closed, so please leave large bags, backpacks, and luggage at home.
- Our cafe, Sunday at the Museum, is also temporarily closed, but there several dining options within close walking distance. Please see our Dining page for listings.
- Water fountains have been disabled to minimize contact. Bring water from home and, to protect the artworks, please drink outside the galleries.
- Docent-led guided tours are unavailable.
Free Day Details
- Free First Sunday Admission for main galleries: Normally $15 for general admission, the museum offers free general admission every first Sunday the month on “First Free Sundays“. Please note, special exhibits may require an additional fee.
- Sunday Hours: Sunday admission hours are typically 10am to 5pm – but please check the Asian’s Plan your Visit page for any updates.
- Free Street Parking – Yup! Like much of SF, the meters around the Asian Art Museum don’t charge on Sundays. Always double check with your meter just in case.
- Very rarely, the museum might switch the dates of the “First Free Sunday” because Sunday falls on a holiday like Christmas or New Year’s Day. So please always check asianart.org first before heading out.
Through rich art experiences, centered on historic and contemporary artworks, the Asian Art Museum unlocks the past for visitors, bringing it to life while serving as a catalyst for new art, new creativity and new thinking. Expect to see a collection of impressive artworks from China, Japan, Thailand, Korea, India and throughout Asia.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
*Special exhibitions may require separate admission surcharge
Categories: *Top Pick*
, Art & Museums
, Free Museum Day
, San Francisco
Address: 200 Larkin Street San Francisco, CA