2017 Chinatown Alleyways Festival: Music, Dance & Art | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Waverly Place | Waverly Place, San Francisco, CA
The eight annual Chinatown Music Festival celebrates an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary music performances by locally and internationally recognized talents.
This year, the festival will feature the world debut of a newly commissioned composition by pianist and composer Jon Jang, and the theme of “Living Alleyways” to highlight the main arteries of the community and the vibrancy in the neighborhood through the arts.
The 8th Annual Chinatown Music Festival is celebrating its new location across two blocks of Waverly Place.
2017 Chinatown Music Festival
Saturday, August 12, 2017 | 11 am to 5 pm
Waverly Place, SF
A highlight of this year’s festival will feature a newly commissioned work about inclusion by SF native composer and pianist Jon Jang, “Walter U. Lum: Chinese Times.”
The piece is dedicated to the legacy of Walter Uriah Lum (1882-1961), a Chinese American journalist and civil rights leader, and serves a powerful reminder of the 135th Anniversary of the passage of the Chinese Exclusion Act.
The festival will also feature:
- Marcus Shelby, whose work and music has focused on sharing the history, present, and future of African American lives, and on social movements in the United States of America
- Chinatown’s own Jest Jammin’, the last of the local “Chinatown bands” that performs soulful tunes from the ‘60s, ‘70s, and recent decades
- The duo Jabel featuring Jason Liu and beloved Chinatown performer Belinda Ho performing classic songs from Shanghai music’s golden era
- The Great Wall Youth Orchestra of Laney College, whose repertoire consists of traditional folk songs and orchestral and opera compositions from China, augmented by a mix of European classics, American pop pieces, and a variety of African, Australian, and Latin American folk songs
- Gingee will return this year with her unique take on electronic music, blending elements of global bass, world music, hip hop, and a contemporary twist on the Filipino Kulintang
- Long-standing community fixture, the popular Maggie Wong will be the Master of Ceremonies.
In addition to wonderful musical performances at this year’s Chinatown Music Festival, there will also be an array of art and cultural activities that will extend across two streets of Waverly Place to further transform and highlight the alleyways.
Other festival activities include interactive design exhibitions, dance, Chinese opera face painting, massage, Chinese puzzles, and more. Artists include Qianying Guo, Yuwen Tu, Jonathan Wallraven, and Xiaoxiao Zeng.
New this year, participants will also be able to pick up a special coupon booklet featuring some of the best local businesses and merchants on Waverly Place and near the alleyway.
Great Wall Youth Orchestra of Laney College
Marcus Shelby Orchestra
Li Ka Sing
Interactive Design Activities:
Yuwen Tu and Sida Li
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Fun & Games, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops, Live Music, San Francisco, Theater & Performance