Drive-in Movies Shut Down in San Francisco
As part of the new shelter-in-place order, drive-in gatherings in San Francisco must cease which including drive-in movies as well as concerts or other entertainment delivered in a drive-in context.
While the California shelter in place order specifically allows drive-in entertainment to continue, San Francisco has an amended order that bans drive-in gatherings.
- Banned – San Francisco – specifically bans drive-in events
- Banned – Contra Costa County – specifically bans drive-in events
- ?? – Alameda County – no mention of drive-ins. Seems to defer to state.
- ?? – Santa Clara County – “movies” banned, but no mention about drive-ins
- ?? – Marin County – no mention at all about drive-ins
The other counties entering into shelter-in-place early (Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara Counties) appear to be following the state’s guidelines with allowing drive-ins.
Currently, San Mateo County is not affected by the shutdown.
Drive-In Theaters Likely Shutting Down until 2021
Please note that not all have officially announced their closure, but all take place within counties that ban drive-in movies so we fully expect them to shut down, but no official announcement has been made by any below.
- Fort Mason Flix – Fort Mason, San Francisco– no official announcement made yet. Tix still for sale for Dec 9-13.
- Solano Drive-In – 1611 Solano Way, Concord – Contra Costa County – no official announcement made yet but drive-ins are banned by Contra Costa County
- Dinosaur Adventure Drive-Thu – Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton – announced closure starting December 7.
Drive-Ins Still Open
Please note this can change at any time.