SF’s New Historic Streetcar Line: E Embarcadero
On August 1, 2015, the SFMTA is launching a new historic streetcar line along the length of the Embarcadero, directly connecting AT&T Park and Caltrain Station to Fisherman’s Wharf and the northeast waterfront. The service, known as the “E Embarcadero,” will operate on Saturdays and Sundays only from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
This is the first new Metro muni line since the T-Third Line began running in 2007.
E Embarcadero – SF’s New Historic Streetcar Line
Runs Saturdays and Sundays only, 10am to 7pm – every 15 minutes
Caltrain to Fisherman’s Wharf
$2.25 per ride
Specially designated double-ended historic streetcars will transport E Line riders along the same stops as the N Judah and T Third between Caltrain and Folsom Street. Unlike the N and T, which turn at the subway portal, the E Line will continue along The Embarcadero joining the existing F Market stops to Fisherman’s Wharf.
Although the E line shares the same track as the N Judah and T Third along the southern Embarcadero, the streetcars will not stop at the elevated platforms. Instead, new signs will direct customers to board the streetcars at the low-level islands near the accessible ramps. On the northern portion of the route, the E line will share stops with the F line.
Be wary the first few weeks as NextBus predictions may not be accurate to begin with as the system learns how the line performs.
The Historic 1948 Streetcars
Five double-end “PCC” (Presidents’ Conference Committee) type streamliner streetcars will operateon the line. Muni currently has seven PCC’s operational, all built in 1948, serving their entire careers in San Francisco. Like the other PCC streetcars, some are painted in tribute to look like PCCs operated in other cities around the world. Additionally, there are four older, non-streamlined streetcars currently operational, which may also be used on the E-line.Streetcars in Service During E Line Demo | August 26, 2012
The Original E Line (1915-1947)Exterior Shot of J Type Streetcar 352 From Union St. E Line at Geary Carhouse | May 4, 1942
Muni’s original E Line ran on Union Street from 1915 – 1947 – a completely different route from the current E which goes along the Embarcadero.
Muni’s first E Line was based on the Presidio & Ferries Railroad Company’s Union Street Line, which the city purchased in 1913 in preparation for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition.rries Co. cars were very similar to our historic Car 578 and were built in town by the Hammond Car Co.
Starting in 1922, Muni began replacing these aged cars with “J-Type” cars – funky-looking cars with center doors were 18 feet shorter and about 26,000 pounds lighter than Muni’s typical streetcar, making them better able to handle the steeper grades of Russian Hill.
> Read more about the E Line history on sftma.com