This Popular Russian River Beach Just Opened for Summer 2023
Summer swimming for 2023 has just opened at Healdsburg Veterans Memorial Beach along the Russian River, just a 1 hour drive north of San Francisco.
And just in time. Temperatures in Healdsburg are set to hit 97 on Friday, June 30th and 100 degrees on Saturday, July 1st.
For the first time in four years, Sonoma County Regional Parks finished installing its temporary seasonal dam on the river this week, creating a popular swimming area along the park’s wide, sandy beach just south of the city’s historic, steel-truss Memorial Bridget. that spans the Russian River.
Swim zones are clearly marked, with lifeguards on duty daily, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., starting Friday, June 30, 2023 through Labor Day. Free loaner life vests are also available for use daily during the summer.
Regional Parks was unable to install the dam in 2020, 2021, or 2022 due to water flow restrictions and pandemic impacts. However, water levels this year were high enough to allow installation of the dam.
Address & Hours
Healdsburg Veterans Memorial Beach is open for summer recreation with river conditions suitable for wading, swimming and paddling. The park is located at 13839 Old Redwood Highway, Healdsburg and open from 7 a.m. to 30 minutes before sunset. Admission to the beach is free, but parking is $7 or free with a Regional Parks membership.
For more information, visit parks.sonomacounty.ca.gov/visit/find-a-park/healdsburg-veterans-memorial-beach.
- The beach is staffed with lifeguards from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- Free loaner life vests are available for use during the summer. See our blog post on Russian River safety tips.
- Leashed dogs are allowed on the lawn and in the parking lot, but not on the beach or in the river.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed in the park.
- Fires and barbecues are not allowed on the beach.