2018 San Francisco Frida Kahlo Festival
Celebrate the 111th birthday of Frida Kahlo and her love affair with San Francisco during a week of Fiestas Fridas taking place at locations throughout the Mission District.
Be sure to wear flowers in your hair. All of the events are free and kid friendly unless otherwise noted.
2018 Fiestas Fridas
July 1 to August 4, 2018
All over the Mission
Most events are free unless otherwise stated
- Sanchez Contemporary, July 6th – Sanchez Contemporary | 1951 Telegraph Ave, 5 pm-10 pm
Viva Frida, Viva la Vida! First Friday’s Closing event including vendors | Curated by Maria Sanchez.
- 9th Year of Frida Art, July 10th | Puerto Alegre, 546 Valencia St. 3pm-5pm
The 9th year of Frida Art in this iconic San Francisco restaurant, featuring several local artists. Come meet the artists, have some taquitos and a margarita or two. Curated by Frankie Franco
- Wonderland SF, July 7th – Wonderland SF | 1266 Valencia St. 6 pm-10 pm
“Santa Frida” art as part of a Santos art exhibit. Curated by Irene Hernandez-Feiks.
- 111th Birthday Celebration of Frida Kahlo, July 7th – Mission Cultural Center, 2868 Mission 4 pm-7 pm Mercadito Frida, Art, Fun, Community. Celebrating Frida’s 111th birthday with cake, mezcal tastings, face painting, music, and more. Featuring local FRIDArte vendors, food by La Cocina Entrepreneurs. More to be announced. Tickets at $7, kids under 12 free.
- ¡Viva la Frida! Party, July 8th – Bedford Gallery, 1601 Civic Dr, Walnut Creek 2 pm-5 pm
¡Viva la Frida! Join for a fun party to celebrate the opening of the summer exhibition The World Of Frida featuring original photos of Frida by Nikolas Murray. Watch designers hit the runway in our knockout Frida Fashion Show. All are welcome to participate in our Frida Lookalike Contest. There will also have an outdoor mercado with vendors selling unique items inspired by Frida. Everyone gets a free Frida button. Light refreshments provided. $10 via eventbrite.com.
- Fri-Dia de los Muertos & Art Opening, July 13th – Evolved SF, 3067 24th Street 6pm-10pm
Fri-Dia de los Muertos & Art Opening with local artists and DJ Rebecca playing the tunes. Celebrating Frida’s death day. Come dressed as a muerto and be a Kahlovera or get your face painted. Curated by Robert Melton.
- Frida Spoken Word Open Mic, Alley Cat Books, July 14th, Frida Spoken Word Open Mic, Alley Cat Books, 3036 24th St SF 4 pm – 7 pm. In conjunction with Spectrum Queer Media, featuring the Legendary Collective, Queen Jazmine, Raggedy Andy and the Queer poets of Oakland. Open Mic sign-ups start at 3:30 pm.
- Frida Look Alike Contest, July 15th, Sunday Streets at Casa Bonampak, 1051 Valencia St SF 11am-4pm. Frida Look Alike Contest. Join this Sunday for a celebration of Frida Kahlo’s 111th Birthday and All Things Frida. They’ll be out on the street & under the sunshine “Fri-Dafying” you. Dress up as Frida or bring yourself & we will add a unibrow & flowers ($3-$5 donation for materials) so you can take a Frida selfie.
- HERstory, August 4th, Frida Kahlo HERstory, Mission Cultural Center, 2868 Mission St
Doors open at 2 pm Spanish presentation 3 pm-4:30 pm | English Presentation 5 pm- 6:30 pm
Discover the hidden meanings and secrets Frida made plain in her artwork. A multi-media presentation by Dra. Gloria Arjona as told through images, Frida’s art, video clips and live music. A must for any Fridaphile who wants to know ALL about her. $12
FRIDArte Viewing Venue (throughout July)
- Puerto Alegre – 46 Valencia Street, June 26th to August 7th; 10 am to 11 pm
- Alley Cat Books-3036 24th Street, July 1 to July 31; 10 am to 9 pm
- Sanchez Contemporary – 1951 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, July 8th to August 11th; 7 am to 6 pm
- Art Attack SF – 2358 Market Street (Ste #1), July 1st to 31st; (call for hours (415) 872-9285)
- Wonderland SF – 1266 Valencia Street, July 8th to TBA; (call for hours – (415) 641-4600)
- DaDa Gallery – 65 Post Street, July 17th to August 18th; 2 pm to 2 am
- The Art Bar SF – 1768 Page Street, July 22nd to TBA; 2 pm to 2 am