SF Bay Lighthouse Seeks New Innkeepers for $140k Salary
The charming East Brother Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast, located on an island in San Francisco Bay that is the home of an intact 1874 lighthouse and fog signal, is seeking a new pair of innkeepers for a two-year commitment.
The beautifully restored Victorian Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast Inn is perched atop an island in the straits that separate San Francisco and San Pablo Bays just above 580 and off the coast of Point San Pablo.
After two years of extraordinary service, the current keepers, Stephanie and Bryan Wesolek will be leaving at the end of March 2023.
The inn is seeking a pair of new keepers. The successful candidates will be a couple, one of whom must possess a Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential NMC boat operator’s license. They will operate the five-room inn, serving both dinner and breakfast, as well as providing ferry service for guests and all other tasks from chef to maid. High-quality culinary experience and capability are critical qualifications. The pair will need to be a jack-of-all-trades and will wear many hats from running the gift shop to fog horn demonstrations, and are comfortable without WiFi, reliable cell service or plumbing.
The inn is open four days a week, and the island is also available for day use and special events. The new keepers will start April 2023 allowing two weeks for training.
Compensation is a function of the level of business, occupancy level, and economy. In the last two years, it has averaged $140,000, trending upward, for the couple. Compensation includes a health plan and living quarters on the island.
Applicants should use this online form to apply.
1. You must submit for the position of Lighthouse Keeper jointly, as two applicants. The following online form will require each applicant to fill out their respective section. You must submit jointly.
2. At least one applicant must have a valid Coast Guard Captains License. Be prepared to provide your license number. You will not be able to submit this form without a valid license number. You will also be required to upload a scan of your valid Coast Guard license.
3. Neither of the applicants is allowed to be smokers. If you currently smoke, do not apply.
4. You will also be able to submit a more detailed resume or other supporting documents that may be helpful in evaluating your qualifications.
5. Further questions should be sent directly to EastBrotherLightStationJOBS@gmail.com
The lighthouse is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard but maintained for public use by its non-profit corporation. Since 1979, it has been operated as one of California’s best-known and unique bed and breakfast inns. Income from operations is used by a group of volunteers to maintain the buildings, which are both a California State Historical Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.