The Soy & Tofu Festival
Come discover the “joy of soy” at the 5th annual Northern California Soy and Tofu Festival with live entertainment, a tofu eating contest and silly mascots, Tofu Panda and Tofutti Cutie. The festival is free and open to the public and yes, there will be free samples.
5th Annual Soy & Tofu Festival
Saturday, June 6, 2015 | 11 am to 5 pm
Japantown Peace Plaza | Post Street at Buchanan Street, SF
Feature various soy-related vendors, free samples, an educational component highlighting the various uses of soy, live performances, audience participation games and a Soy and Tofu Dessert Competition. Returning this year will be a children’s activity area and nonprofit information booths in the Buchanan Mall.
Food vendors include: Kikkoman, San Jose Tofu, Nakayoshi Café, Hodo Soy Beanery, Jade Chocolates, Totally Oishii, Signature Soy, Nombe Restaurant and Moffle Waffle. Food Trucks include Linda’s Catering and Kokio Republic.
MCs: Jana Katsuyama, News Reporter, KTVU Fox 2 and Mike Inouye, Traffic Anchor, NBC Bay Area
- 11 am: Eden Aoba Taiko
- 11:15 am: LionDanceME (Chinese lion dancers)
- 11:45 am: Parangal Dance Company (Filipino folk dance group)
- 12:20 pm: Curt Yagi and the People Standing Behind Me
- 1:05 pm: Tofu Eating Contest
- 1:35 pm: Berkeley Genyukai (Okinawa sanshin)
- 2-2:35 pm: Soy and Tofu Dessert Competition
- 2:55 pm: CryWolffs (electronic violin)
- 3:35 pm: Nikkei Choral Ensemble
- 4:10 pm: Cal Raijin Taiko
- 4:25 pm: Abraham Lincoln High School Lion Dance Club
*Schedule subject to change.
Tiny Tofu Town is a feast of activities for children and families located in the Buchanan Mall. Familiar children’s activities such as a jumpy house will be supplemented by a host of soy- and tofu-related games and crafts for the entire family, including:
- Tofu Target
- Tofu Toss
- Lasso Tofu
- Soy Spin
- Color Me Soy
- Tofu Wear