Voicemails From The Future: Storytelling Game | Exploratorium
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Exploratorium | Pier 15, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
What would you hear about in a voicemail from Earth Day 2030? On Tuesday, April 22, 2014, the Exploratorium looks into possible environmental futures, as veteran game designer Ken Eklund invites you to be part of FutureCoast, his collaborative storytelling game about climate change.
Free, but an RSVP is required by calling (415) 528-4646. Admission is limited to the event in the Bay Observatory Gallery only.
Participants record prosaic voicemails that seem to have leaked out of the near future (2020–2065), offering first-hand accounts of how we’re grappling with a changing climate. Before imagining the future, you’ll survey our local environment’s past and present. Exploratorium educators and exhibit developers will be stationed at 5 exhibits around the Bay Observatory, to host small group discussions on environmental and population data, the history of the city’s shifting shoreline, and satellite imagery from the last 30 years. You’ll then talk with a partner and imagine what happens next, and craft a voicemail from the future to add to FutureCoast.
- 6 pm: Reception and exhibits exploration
- 6:30 pm: Participate in concurrent discussions hosted by Exploratorium staff at 5 different exhibits
- 7:30 pm: Audience one-on-one discussions and contributions to FutureCoast
- Ken Eklund, FutureCoast project director, is a leader in the emerging genre of alternate reality games, especially those that create playful “What if?” spaces that invite massive public participation.
- Sebastian Martin, Bay Observatory curator and science content developer, Exploratorium
- Lori Lambertson, senior museum educator, Exploratorium
- Ron Hipschman, senior educator and science specialist, Exploratorium
- Kristina Larsen, Bay Observatory exhibit developer, Exploratorium
- Chris Raleigh, environmental quality specialist, Romberg Tiburon Center
About the series:
Conversations about Landscape brings together practitioners from the fields of geography, ecology, environmental arts and sciences, policy, and design to grapple with contemporary landscape questions. Speakers present their work and engage each other and the audience in conversation. The series is staged in the Exploratorium’s Bay Observatory Gallery, which explores environmental change in the Bay Area and beyond. An informal reception before each talk offers time to explore exhibits and engage with the speakers, Observatory staff, and other guests.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.