2019 Bay Area Book Festival | Berkeley
Come face-to-face with 250+ amazing authors at the 5th Anniversary Bay Area Book Festival on May 4 & 5, 2019, which will fill downtown Berkeley with a literary extravaganza that offers pleasure to anyone who has ever loved a book.
The Festival celebrates two days of interviews, panels, keynotes, performances, participatory activities, exhibits, and a lively outdoor fair. Plus, don’t miss the ever popular free book giveaway, sponsored by Half Price Books.
More than 200 literary exhibitors will delight you, free stages present acclaimed authors, and there’s loads of performances and fun activities for all ages abound.
You can purchase a General Admission Wristband for $15 for the whole weekend, with first-come, first-served admission after Priority Ticket holders are let in. Outdoor sessions — at the San Francisco Chronicle Stage in the Park and the Showtime Stage for families — are free, with first-come, first served seating.
The Festival’s Outdoor Fair is a lively, immersive experience where readers meet writers and diverse communities gather to celebrate a love of books and reading.
Get enlightened at over 100 programs that take on some of the most pressing issues of our time such as Race, Immigration, Incarceration, Refugees, Citizenship, Activism, Native Issues, Slavery, Gender and more.
All genres will be represented including fiction (literary masters along with popular genre writers); memoir; non-fiction; poetry; and new forms of digital storytelling. All topics will be covered including current events, social justice, international affairs, environment, gender, business, spirituality, sports, and, of course, digital innovation.
- New this year─ Literary Death Match, a competitive, humor-centric reading series taking the nation by storm
- Hundreds of emerging authors, booksellers and book artists and a broad array of children’s and young adult authors
- A large outdoor stage sponsored by the San Francisco Chronicle
- A new German Pavilion which highlights the literature and attractions of Germany (stop by to learn a bit of German, too)
- The triumphant return of Grammy-nominees Alphabet Rockers
- A special focus on the “slow” food movement
- A colorful “reading garden” with reading nooks inside giant inflatable flowers and other cozy spots will beckon you to cozy up with a good book.
- Try your hand at translating poetry, guided by experts at the Center for the Art of Translation/Poetry Inside Out booth