Free de Young Museum Day & MLK Celebration | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
de Young Museum | 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, CA
NORCALMLK and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco present a day celebrating the contributions and stories from the African American community with programming in connection with Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday and the special exhibition Revelations: Art from the African American South. Enjoy free programs and free gallery admission.
MLK Day of Revelations / Free Museum Day
Saturday, January 13, 2018 | 9:30a to 5:15p
de Young Museum, Golden Gate Park, SF
FREE – Tickets required (while supplies last)
Complimentary free admission to the exhibition Revelations: Art from the African American South and the permanent collections. Tickets are required for gallery entrance. Pick up your free ticket at the entrance to each gallery on the day of the event (1 per person) while supplies last. Free admission includes all galleries except for the special exhibition, Teotihuacan: City of Water, City of Fire.
List of Events:
- Special performances of gospel music and African drumming
- Gallery tours with docents, community representatives, and scholars
- Lectures on Revelations by docent Sharon Walton and on King & Faith by Dr. Charles H. Long
- Film screening of “In the Hour of Chaos: The Untold Story of Rev. Martin Luther King, Sr.”
- Artist demonstration by comic artist Robert Love
- Family art making with museum teaching artists and Museum Ambassadors
Enjoy free admission to the exhibition Revelations: Art from the African American South and the permanent collections. Pick up your free ticket from the Admissions desk on the day-of the event (1 per person) while supplies last. Tickets are required for gallery entrance. Related programs are also free with no ticket required.