Home » *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Block Party, Club / DJ, Eating & Drinking, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops
Hip Hop Block Party: MC Cyphers, B-Boys & DJs | Oakland Museum of CA
Get your Oakland groove on at Friday Nights @ OMCA – a weekly free outdoor experience with food trucks and music along with half-price after-hours museum gallery admission.
This is a great community gathering that is most vibrant during March-November when the garden and terraces are open as well as during certain weeks in the summer that turn into a massive block party. Check Facebook and their website for updates as most activities are seasonal.
Friday Nights at OMCA
Every Friday from 5-9 pm (Museum open until 10 pm)
Oakland Museum of California, 1000 Oak St., Oakland
FREE (for food truck access and seasonal outdoor activities) – Museum admission is half-priced from 5-10 pm
- After-hours gallery access and half-priced museum admission after 5 pm (Please note, fees for the the special exhibitions still apply). Ages 18 & under are free
- Marketplace @ OMCA: Local makers selling handcrafted works and art
- Music, DJs, acoustic sets, and dance lessons (Seasonal)
- A rotating list of Off The Grid food trucks and featured artists
- Family fun at Friday Nights: Every Friday night, from 5 to 8 pm, features free hands-on art workshops for all ages, and select Fridays feature storytime with the Oakland Public Library from 6 to 6:30 pm
How to get here: OMCA is located one block from the Lake Merritt BART Station.
Parking: Free street parking of often available. Event parking is available at the Museum Garage, with a $7 flat fee starting at 5 pm. The Museum garage closes at 10:30 pm. Directions.
Garden Access: OMCA’s garden and terraces are open and free to visitors during Friday Nights @ OMCA from March through November, with the exception of dates when the garden is rented for private events.
The summer season of Friday Nights @ OMCA means the gardens are open for picnics, live music outside is back, gallery hours are open until 10 pm, and the Off the Grid food truck market expands onto Oak Street.
Come celebrate the 45th anniversary of Hip-Hop’s birthday (attributed to August 11, 1973) in the final Friday Nights @ OMCA Block Party and the last weekend of RESPECT: Hip-Hop Style & Wisdom, closing on Sunday, August 12.
*Most outdoor activities and entertainment is free and open to the public from 5-9pm. From 5pm to 10pm, there's half-priced gallery admission for adults; ages 18 and under are free. Admission for members is always free.
Categories: *Top Pick*
, Art & Museums
, Block Party
, Club / DJ
, Eating & Drinking
, Kids & Families
, Lectures & Workshops
Address: 1000 Oak Street Oakland, CA 94607
Submitted by Becca Bandit