2019 Japan Day Festival: Drums, Dance & Origami | Japantown
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Japantown Peace Plaza | 1610 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Start the summer by celebrating the Japanese cultural heritage of Japantown at our annual Japan Day Festival.
Experience an afternoon of a variety of Japanese cultural arts and music from drums, harp, dance, poetry, to calligraphy, origami, and Japanese dolls.
On the Japan Day Festival outdoor Peace Plaza stage, enjoy their program of Japanese cultural music – drums (Taiko) and dance (Odori). There will be Japanese artists from Tokyo, Chicago, and the Bay Area.
2019 Japan Day Festival
Sunday, June 30, 2019 | Noon to 4:30 pm
Japantown Peace Plaza, Post and Buchanan St, SF
Schedule of Events
Outdoor Peace Plaza Stage
- Noon – 12:15 pm: Asian Improv Midwest & Genryu Arts
- 12:15 pm – 12:30 pm: Soke Fujima Ryu Fujima Kansuma Dance Ensemble of Los Angeles
- 12:35 pm – 1:05 pm: Suio Ryu Lai Kenpo group and Gen Ensemble
- 1:10 pm – 1:40 pm: Tamagusuku Ryu Senju Kai Frances Nakachi Ryubu Dojo – Hawaii
- 1:45 pm – 2:20 pm: Gen Taiko
- 2:30 pm – 2:45 pm: Soke Fujima Ryu Fujima Kansuma Dance Ensemble of Los Angeles
- 2:50 pm – 3:20 pm: Tsukasa Taiko
- 3:20 pm – 3:50 pm: Asian American Women Presentation
- 3:50 pm – 4:30 pm: Gintenkai National Project
East Mall Stage
- Noon – 12:15 pm: Washi Ningyo with Rochelle Lum
- 12:15 pm -1:15 pm: SF Koto Group Hanaikada
- 1:15 pm – 1:35 pm: Origami- PaperTree Linda Mihara
- 1:40 pm – 2:00 pm: Shodo Demonstration – Rev. Kawahatsu Sensei
- 2:00 pm – 2:20 pm: Mataro Doll Demonstration -SF / East Bay Mataro Miyabikai with Merry Nishimura
- 2:20 pm – 2:40 pm: Washi Ningyo with Rochelle Lum
- 2:45 pm – 3:15 pm: Sanjuro Toyoaki Shamisen
- 3:15 pm – 4:00 pm: Tamagusuku Ryu Senju Kai Frances Nakachi Ryubu Dojo- Hawaii
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Kids & Families, Live Music, Outdoors, San Francisco, Theater & Performance