Future of Transportation NightLife | California Academy of Sciences
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
California Academy of Sciences | 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Thursday, August 28, 2014
“NightLife” at California Academy of Sciences
Future of Transportation NightLife
Music by Miles the DJ
How will we get where we’re going in the future? This week, NightLife explores the slick and efficient ways that transportation is rapidly evolving with some of the hottest names on the road.
August 28, 2014 Schedule:
Futuristic Prototypes in the East Garden (Level 1) | 6-10 pm
- Check out the Model S by Tesla Motors in all its zero-emissions glory and get an exclusive look at what’s underneath the hood of this eco-friendly engineering masterpiece with rolling chassis on display.
- Prefer to sit back and let someone else do all the work? Take in the Google Self-Driving Car Lexus prototype plus, check out the 100% electric Renault Twizy.
- If you’re partial to two-wheeled transportation, prepare to behold the Mission R and limited edition Mission RS from Mission Motorcycles and learn about 360 degree visibility on the road with Revolights. Plus, meet the pros from Scoot Networks and learn about the shared, electric, smartphone-activated motorscooters you can ride in the city.
- The New Wheel, a locally based bike shop specializing in highly efficient electric bicycles, will be on hand to show off the same innovative designs that have turned their Bernal Heights storefront into a mecca for bike-tech nerds.
- Check out the Porteur by Faraday Bicycles, the latest innovation in electric bicycling with a charming 1950s aesthetic.
Innovators in the East Pavilion (Level 1) | 6-10 pm
- Go green on your next road trip with Charge Across Town, an educational organization helping to move people from fossil fuel vehicles to cleaner, greener modes of personal transportation through electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
- Love to shred but lack the balance? Check out Onewheel, the world’s first self-balancing, electric skateboard. Then, learn about light, powerful electric longboards with Boosted Boards.
- Hear how SPUR is turning big ideas into real-world changes to the role that public transportation plays in SF’s urban landscape.
Lightrail Talk in African Hall (Level 1) | 7:30 pm
- Hear a talk from Ben Davis, founder of Illuminate the Arts, on Lightrail, an innovative plan to reimagine mass transit through above and below-ground light engineering.
“Future of Transport” Film by Science in Action (Level 1) | 6-10 pm
- See “The Future of Transport”— a short film from the Academy’s archives that first aired January 30th, 1966. The episode was a study of one of the largest engineering projects in the world, modern rapid transit.
- In the planetarium, fasten your seatbelt for a special presentation on the future of space travel and learn how scientists and engineers are working to build roads to the final frontier.
Note: The 4-story Rainforest exhibit closes at 7:45 pm and planetarium passes are distributed to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis. Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.