The 2021 San Francisco Marathon (Every Street Closure)
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
All Over San Francisco | San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
The San Francisco Marathon returns on September 18-19, 2021! We once again will feature 7 courses: two 5k’s (Saturday or Sunday), 10k, 1st half or 2nd half, full marathon or an ultramarathon. We once again will feature 7 courses: two 5k’s (Saturday or Sunday), 10k, 1st half or 2nd half, full marathon or an ultramarathon.
See the full details of all street closures for 2021
- Location: Expo will beheld in The Presidio National Park, at Sports Basement, 610 Old Mason Street.
- Days/Times: Thursday & Friday 9am-7:00pm, Saturday 9am-5:30pm
- All details are subject to change
Marathon Start Times
Saturday, Sept 18th
- 5K Fun Run – 9:00 am @ Presidio, Crissy Field, Sports Basement, 610 Old Mason Street
Sunday, Sept 19th
- Full – 5:40am @ Embarcadero @ Mission; water stop locations info
- 1st & 2nd Half – 6:45am @ Embarcadero between Mission and Howard
- 10K – 7:30am @ The Embarcadero near Mission Street
- 5k – 7:45am @ The Embarcadero near Mission Stre
You don’t have to run to be a part of the The San Francisco Marathon experience. We encourage friends and family of runners and the San Francisco community to participate on Race Day (Sept 19th, 2021). Your presence and encouragement makes a huge, meaningful impact on our runners. We hope the following information helps our spectators prepare for race day.
Stay Connected with Our Official Race App
The San Francisco Marathon’s 2021 Race App will empower spectators to stay connected with their runners throughout race weekend. From live runner tracking to key race info, our free app will provide a world class experience for runners and spectators alike. GET THE APP
Follow the Race on Our Live Web Tracker
The San Francisco Marathon Live Web Tracker allows spectators to stay connected to runners and our race online in real-time throughout race weekend. Access important race information, follow runners on the interactive course map, and track runner times and current pace on race day. The app will be available closer to race day. LIVE TRACKER
Getting to the Race
Start Line and Finish Line Festival Map
Traffic Advisory & Detour Map
GENERAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
IMPACT ON SAN FRANCISCO NEIGHBORHOODS AND SUGGESTED DETOURS
Road Closure notice will be posted:
- At major entrances to Golden Gate Park and major roadways one (1) week prior to the race.
- On the day of the event, at entrances and diversion points in the park.
The Embarcadero – 12:01 am to 3:00 pm
- Northbound Embarcadero/King St. will be closed from 3rd St. to Broadway.
- Southbound Embarcadero will be closed from Broadway to Harrison.
- See the map above and below for suggested detours.
Fisherman’s Wharf – 5:00 am to 10:30 am
- On Jefferson Street between Powell and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
Westbound lanes of Bay Street will be closed from 5:00 AM – 9:45 AM
Northbound Laguna St from Bay to Marina Blvd will be closed from 5:00 AM – 9:45 AM
West lanes of Marina Blvd to Yacht Road will be closed from 5:00 AM – 9:45 AM
Golden Gate Bridge Roadway Lanes & Sidewalks
- Vehicle traffic will remain open in both directions throughout the event
- The east side bridge sidewalk will open at 8:45 AM to bikes and pedestrians. The west side bridge sidewalk will open at 10:00 AM to bikes only.
Golden Gate Bridge Exit and Parking Area
- Will remain open on Southside of the bridge
- Vista Point exit (northeast side) and the Vista Point parking lot will be closed from 4:00am to 10:00 am.
Alexander Avenue Exit and Fort Baker – 5:00am to 9:30am
- Alexander Ave will be open to Fort Baker Traffic Only
- Sausalito traffic – please continue North on 101 to Bridgeway
Presidio and Golden Gate National Recreation Area – 12:00am to 10:15
- From midnight to 10:00am, there will be no access to the Golden Gate Bridge through the Presidio.
- Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed from 4:30am to 10:00am.
- Baker Beach residents may enter and exit the housing areas via the service road from Battery Caulfield. Traffic will be allowed access and egress from Brooks Court and Baker Court via Lincoln Blvd..
- Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Avenue from 4:30 am to 10:00am.
- Crissy Field Avenue will be closed from 4:30 am to 10:00am.
Richmond District – 6:00am to 10:30 am
- Eastbound and Westbound Vehicle Traffic should expect delays at 26th Ave. and 27th Ave.
- 26th and 27th Avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic. Cross traffic will be allowed intermittently on California, Clement, Geary, Balboa or Cabrillo. Expect significant delays.
- Residents west of 27th Avenue are encouraged to use the Great Highway.
Sunset and Richmond Districts – 6:00am to 11:00am
- North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar, or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio. Expect significant delays.
- In Golden Gate Park, southbound Crossover Dr., JFK Dr. from Great Highway to Kezar, MLK Jr. Way from Lincoln to 25th Ave, Transverse Dr., and Stow Lake Dr. will be closed from 5:00 am to approx. 11:00 am.
Upper Haight Street – 6:30 am to 11:30 am
- North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive (from or to Lincoln off Oak and Fell). Expect significant delays.
Lower Haight Street – 6:30 am to 11:45 am
- North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore. Expect significant delays.
Market Street – 6:30 am to 12:00pm noon
- Westbound and Eastbound travel on, and access to, Market Street at Duboce Ave. and Guerrero Street should expect significant delays.
Mission & Potrero Districts: 15th, 16th, & 17th Streets – 6:45am to 12:30pm
- Northbound and southbound traffic needing to cross over 15th, 16th, and 17th streets should use Highway 280 or Highway 101 whenever possible. Crossovers are also available at some city streets; however, significant delays should be expected: Valencia, South Van Ness, Folsom, Bryant, or Potrero Street.
Third Street Detour – 7:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Impacted between Mariposa and 20th Streets.
- Southbound traffic should use westbound Mariposa Street to Tennessee (south) to westbound 18th Street overpass to southbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 20th or 23rd Street to Third Street.
- Northbound traffic should use westbound 23rd or 20th Street to northbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 18th Street to Tennessee to Mariposa to Third Street.
South Beach Area – 7:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Terry Francois Blvd. will be closed.