“Bring Your Own Big Wheel” Race 2015 | Potrero Hill
20th and Vermont | 20th Street and Vermont Street, San Francisco, CA
What’s that sound kids? It’s the sound of Big Wheels rolling!
Watch dozens of contestants at Bring Your Own Big Wheel 2015 (BYOBW) risk humiliation and serious injury racing their big wheels (those giant plastic tricycles from when we were kids – no rubber wheels allowed) down the crazy curvy Vermont & 20th streets – the actual curviest street in SF – on Easter Sunday all for glory and hand-made trophies.
This is the perfect way to spend your Easter in between the Hunky Jesus contest at Golden Gate Park and your inevitable trip to the emergency room.
15th Annual “Bring Your Own Big Wheel” Race
Sunday, April 5, 2015 | 4-6 pm
Vermont and 20th, Potrero Hill, SF
– Free to watch / Registration required to race
– $5 to $10 donations requested to race [download waiver]
– Donations accepted to cover event permit costs
New for 2015: They will add to the usual 1st lap for kids only by adding a 2nd run for kids only at 5 pm, in the middle of the 4-6 pm racing time. They’ll need all of your cooperation to make this happen. That means clearing the street and being patient while the smaller humans have their second run.
Also, absolutely no metal framed trikes, and no metal spokes pegs or pieces of metal sticking out of your rig will be allowed to race with other racers, and nothing but plastic wheels will be allowed, period. Metal framed ‘drift’ trikes are a hazard. They will pull all metal trikes. If you have metal spokes or pegs you will be asked to tape them up, which is a pain in the butt to do. Plan accordingly.
This event is all about making a fool out of yourself on a child’s plastic wheeled toy, not accidentally slicing or impaling your fellow riders.
Event Warning: This event can get very crowded with limited views and porta porties are scarce. And if you leave trash behind or trespass on people’s property, you’ll risk having the neighbors complain and the event permit could be canceled. Don’t be the dick that causes this to happen.
And there is a zero tolerance policy with no smoking and no drinking alcohol at the event.
- Leave no trace: This is a pack in/pack out event, so take everything home with you (even your trash)
- No Smoking and No alcohol – The cops are very clear about this; otherwise the permits will NOT be issued next year
- Be respectful of neighbors – Only roll on the street closure area
- Donate $5 or more if you can – event costs organizers several thousand dollars for permits; help them keep this great event going
- Parking sucks – Take Muni
- The Fuzz is in Full Force: Please be aware that the police will be on hand checking IDs to put the kabosh on underage drinking.
Need a Big Wheel for the race?
Search on eBay - as of March 27, 2015, there were many between $40 and $80
Search for Tricycles & Big Wheels on Craigslist
And of course, try the thrift stores – Goodwill, Salvation Army, Thrift Town, etc…
Photo Credit: Bhautik Joshi
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE*
*Free to watch; but $5 to $10 donations are requested to raceEaster, Flash Mob, Free, Odd & Weird, Potrero Hill, Race
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Easter, Fun & Games, KFOG, Recurring – Annual - April, San Francisco, San FranFREEsco, Sports & Fitness