Central Market Arts Festivals
Since giving CPR to concrete is probably very unappealing, the San Francisco Art Commission will revive the lifeline of the city by pumping arts and culture with the fall season of the ARTery Project along with the annual 24 Days of Central Market Arts Festival.
As part of the projects, Central Market, between U.N. Plaza and 6th St., will be converted to a hustle and bustle of art openings, theater and dance performances, and live music from Bay Area talent.
Opening Reception of The ARTery Project: Photographs of Central Market
A record of photos will exhibit the positive affects that the ARTery Project had on the underexposed neighborhood. The exhibit will be located in District 6 Supervisor Jane Kim’s Office, room 282, and it will be on display through November 15.
- City Hall, Rm. 282 (1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, SF) | Friday, September 23 | 5p-7p | FREE
24 Days of Central Market Arts Festival: A three-week performing arts festival in San Francisco’s Central Market district, the Central Market Arts Festival features 24 days of curated performances in dance, music and theater. September 23-October 16
2011 Festival Highlights
– Friday Kick-Off Celebration (Mint Plaza) Friday 9/23 | Noon -8pm | FREE
– Kick-Off Weekend: Saturday (Mint Plaza) Saturday 9/24 | Noon -5:30pm | FREE
– Family Day (Mint Plaza) Sunday 9/25 | 11am | FREE
– Secret Circus & Juggle-a-thon (Union Sq.) Thursday 9/29 | 2pm | FREE
– Two Blocks of Art (SoMa) Friday 10/14 | 4pm | FREE
Full calendar of events
Other ARTery Project Events and Art Exhibits
Laser Cut Sculptures
Gallery Satellite 66 will feature Nicole Aptekar’s laser-cut sculpture-objects, and Frank Theophani Callozzo’s spiritual drawings investigating patterns in narrative symbol.
- Satellite66 (66 6th St., SF) | On view through Saturday, September 24 | 12p-4p | FREE
Projection Series: The Messaging of Politics
Artists Stephen Parr, Megan Wilson and TWCDC participate in the Projection Series which will stream in the front window of the Luggage Store. The projection displays the ways messaging has grown to affect the politics in the US.
-Luggage Store (1007 Market St., SF) | On view through Friday, September 30 | Dusk Through Dawn | FREE
Hunters Point: The Play
Strange Angels Theater collaborated with Jump! Theatre to bring you Hunter’s Point: The Play. The play is based on a homeless man fleeing from psychiatric wards, social workers and his sister. There is a suggested donation price of $15-$25. However, no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- St. Boniface Church Theater ( 175 Golden Gate Ave., SF) | Now though October | Show times vary | $15 but no one turned away
Market Street Blooms
The two 20-foot salvaged steel structures, by artist Karen Cusolito, sprouted from the cracks of the U.N. Plaza to frame a gateway of the Central Market.
- U.N. Plaza (1123 Market St., SF) | On view through November 13 | FREE
Submitted by pattyc