Mavericks Surf Contest
Announced with just a few days notice because of expected 20-40 foot waves, the 2013-14 Mavericks Surf Contest will take place in Half Moon Bay on one perfect day between November 1, 2013 and March 31, 2014.
The 24 best and most daring big-wave surfers in the world will attempt to tame the massive swells on the biggest and best day of the winter season.
Announced with about two days notice, the 2014 Mavericks Invitational Surf Contest is scheduled for Friday, January 24, 2014 at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay. A massive swell is forecast for upwards of 40 feet.
Friday, January 24, 2014 – First heat at 8am, Final Rounds begin around 1:30pm
Half Moon Bay
How to Watch Mavericks
Due to dangerous conditions on the beach, there is no public access to the beach or bluffs to watch the surfing directly.
- Mavericks Watch Party San Francisco - Funcheap hosts a FREE watch party of the final rounds starting at 1:30pm with food trucks and drink specials at SoMa StrEat Food Park in San Francisco.
- Mavericks Viewing Festival Half Moon Bay- Oceano Hotel & Spa, Half Moon Bay – Access to the party on hotel grounds with jumbo screens, exclusive commentary, food trucks, beer garden and a celebration with the surfers at the awards ceremony (7:30 am to 5 pm) – Tickets are $15
- Watch for free online at www.mavericksinvitational.com or http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/live-video/ (starting at 8 am) or watch on TV on Universal Sports Network (starting at 1:30 pm) on cable and satellite.
2013-14 Mavericks Competitors
Subject to change
- Ryan Augenstein (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Grant Baker (South Africa)
- Chris Bertish (South Africa)
- Carlos Burle (Brazil)
- Kohl Christensen (Hawaii)
- Ken Collins (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shawn Dollar (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shane Dorian (Hawaii)
- Colin Dwyer (Pacifica, CA)
- Nathan Fletcher (San Clemente, CA)
- Tyler Fox (Aptos, CA)
- Mark Healey (Hawaii)
- Nic Lamb (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Greg Long (San Clemente, CA)
- Rusty Long (San Clemente, CA)
- Alex Martins (Brazil)
- Peter Mel (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Ryan Seelbach (San Francisco, CA)
- Jamie Sterling (Hawaii)
- Anthony Tashnick (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Grant Washburn (San Francisco, CA)
- Dave Wassell (Hawaii)
- Ben Wilkinson (Australia)
- Zach Wormhoudt (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shane Desmond (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Danilo Couto (Brazil)
- Derek Dunfee (San Diego, CA)
- Kelly Slater (Cocoa Beach, FL)
- Tyler Smith (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Frank Solomon (South Africa)
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap