Home » *Top Pick*, Monthly Top 10 Preview - September, San Francisco, Sports & Wellness
America’s Cup Sailng Finals: Races 16-17 | SF
Submitted by the Event Organizer
San Francisco’s Summer of Racing concludes as Emirates Team New Zealand takes on defending champions, Oracle Team USA in 72-foot catamarans during the 2013 America’s Cup Finals at the Marina and Piers 27/29 from September 7-??, 2013.
America’s Cup Finals
September 7-??, 2013
Two 30 minute (approx) races scheduled daily: 1:10 pm & 2:10 pm
- Races schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions and/or cheating scandals.
- The first team to nine victories wins the Cup
Where to Watch the Races for FREE:
Pier 27/29 | Finish Line: The finish line is located near America’s Cup Park at Pier 27/29 along the Embarcadero at Lombard.
- Funcheap Tip: Pier 27/29 is best for watching most of the race on the big screen TVs in front of the Presentation Stage, and then 5-8 minutes before the end of the race, walking to the edge of the pier and watching the finish line in person.
- There is a large free standing-room public viewing area at the Viewing Deck at the end of Pier 27 – this is perfect for watching the finish line.
- Free large screen TVs (with live commentary) with comfy bean bags and fake grass are located in Puma Yard and at the presentation stage. On Tuesday 9/10 you can view on the big screen inside the 9,000 capacity Pavilion.
Other America’s Cup Park Activities
At the America’s Cup Park on Pier 27/29, you can also watch post race-live Q&A at the Presentation Stage, enjoy a free ride in the Flying on Water 4D AC72 simulator, learn about the science of sailing, meet athletes, relax in bean bags and listen at Puma Yard, get free shaves at the Gillette Shaving Station (Sept 7-8, 10, 12), or listen to a free concert at America’s Cup Pavilion (tickets are required to enter the concert venue, but there are several locations around Pier 27/29 to hear the show just fine and there’s even a limited narrow view of the stage for free)
Marina Green | Main Racing Area: The starting line and Bay racing can be viewed best from the America’s Cup Village at Marina Green.
- Funcheap Tip: Marina Green is perfect for watching most of the race live in the Bay, but the finish line is actually over by Pier 27/29 so you’ll need to watch the finish on one of the big screen TVs
- There is a limited amount of free public viewing along the shoreline and the bluffs of Marina Green.
- There is also a big screen showing the races at Marina Green with live commentary which anyone can watch for free.
- The cheapest paid tickets are on the Deck at Marina Green (for $75) which gives you an elevated view.
You can also view the races for free in person anywhere else along the Marina, Crissy Field, or from Angel Island.
Team Oracle won both races on Sunday staving off elimination and setting more “do or die” racing for Monday.
New Zealand leads 8-5 needing only one more victory to take home the America’s Cup. Team Oracle needs to win four straight.
Winds permitting, the first race on Monday, September 23, 2013 will be at 1:15 pm. If the U.S. wins, another race will be scheduled for 2:15 pm.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
*Food, drinks, and bleacher seats are available for purchase. Subject to change based on weather.
Categories: *Top Pick*
, Monthly Top 10 Preview - September
, San Francisco
, Sports & Wellness
Address: Pier 27, San Francisco, CA