Bay Day at Angel Island: REI Beach Party | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Angel Island | Angel Island, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Celebrate Bay Day on Angel Island with an REI Beach Party. Fun interactive classes will be led by REI instructors and Save The Bay (San Francisco) members to engage your senses and inspire creativity while celebrating our beautiful Bay.
Save the Bay will have three tents with free family-friendly activities.
- Plant a Poppy – plant some California poppy seeds and decorate your own compostable plant pot to take home
- Native Plant Sensory Activity – taste, touch and smell some of the plants we use in our wetland restoration work
- Trash to Treasure – make and photograph art from plastic found on local beaches
- Animal Drawing – little ones can follow our simple drawing guides and learn how to sketch native animals
- Bay Day Promise – photograph yourself in our giant photo frame and post your Bay Day photo and personal pledge to the environment on social media.
- Spin The Wheel – sign up for Save The Bay’s email for a chance to win some Save The Bay goodies
- Spindrift will also have a table with free spindrift beverages.
Paid REI Activities
From nature photography to backcountry navigation to kayaking lessons, there’s a way for everyone to enjoy Bay Day with REI. This paid/ticketed activities include passage to Angel Island
• Kayaking with Oru Kayaks
• Angel Island Photography with a Pro
• Backcountry Navigation With A Map & Compass – Level 1
• Wilderness Survival 3-Season Skills
• Angel Island State Park Bike Tour
• Hiking the Bay Area’s Best Places
– Is the event free? –
Attending Bay Day at Angel Island is free. Bay Day strives to serve as many people as possible by offering free and discounted services. However, transportation to and from the island is not included unless you register for an REI activity.
– Save The Bay Education Station –
Interactive education activities that will engage your senses & inspire your creativity. Learn about our local vegetation and the importance of mud in our bay ecosystem.
– What is Bay Day? –
Bay Day is an official holiday dedicated to connecting Bay Area communities with the beautiful and unique, ecological wonders of San Francisco Bay. Together, with our community partners and supporters, we can create and inspire a movement to preserve and protect the Bay. Learn more at bayday.org.
– How can I sign up for an activity? –
Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/1654652424547110/ for links to activities – please note there are fees for most activities.
– How do I get to Angel Island? –
You have 3 options:
1) Sign up for a class with REI and it will include your passage to the island (These are ticketed / paid events)
2) Purchase a ferry ride (http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/node/170)
3) Charter your own private vessel and get out on the bay
– Can I volunteer? –
Absolutely. We have multiple events, time slots, and duties for volunteers. See our volunteer form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScdJKjwo6G_G