Home » **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, San Francisco
82nd Annual Blessing of the Fishing Fleet: Saturday | SF
The festival of “La Madonna Del Lume” (also known as “The Blessing of the Fishing Fleet”) is a Sicilian tradition of protecting fishermen that have been practiced in San Francisco for 82 years.
The 82nd annual blessing and fishing boat parade is an annual procession from St. Peter and Paul’s Church in North Beach down to Fisherman’s Wharf with a blessing of the fleet and a fishing boat parade and Memorial Ceremony at sea.
Saturday, September 30
- 10:00 AM – La Madonna del Lume Memorial Mass at the Fishermen’s and Seamen’s Memorial Chapel at Fisherman’s Wharf. This is a religious service dedicated to the memory of fishermen and seamen lost at sea. (The Chapel is located at the far west end of the Wharf and in front of Pier 45-Shed B).
- 11:00 AM – Fishing Boat Parade & Memorial Ceremony at Sea. Honoring all fishermen and seamen who have died at sea. Guests and all in attendance at mass may board the Red & White Harbor Tours Motor Vessel at Pier 43-1/2 for the Wreath Ceremony beneath the Golden Gate Bridge. The vessel will be escorted by the fishing fleet and will return to dock at approximately 1 PM.
Sunday, October 1
- 11:30 AM – La Madonna del Lume High Mass at S.S. Peter and Paul Church (Filbert & Powell Streets)
- 12:30 PM -Light Refreshments in the Church cafeteria.
- 1:45 pm – La Madonna del Lume Parade starts in front of S.S. Peter and Paul Church processes down Columbus Ave. to Fisherman’s Wharf. The parade will be passing the Wharf around 2:00-2:30 p.m. It concludes by Pier 45 at the Fishermen’s and Seamen’s Memorial Chapel for the Blessing of the Fishing Fleet.
Categories: **Annual Event**
, *Top Pick*
, Fairs & Festivals
, San Francisco
Address: 666 Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by Lorie