Brisk First Hike of 2020 | Mt. Diablo Twin Peaks
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Mitchell Canyon Visitor Center | 96 Mitchell Canyon Rd, Clayton, CA 94517
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Celebrate the new year and experience the natural sounds, sights, smells, and colors of winter. Hike up Mitchell Canyon, see mistletoe, Christmas berry, ghost pine, and sneak a peek on that amorous couple, Freddy Fungus and Alice Algae. Ponder how climate change has affected the flora and fauna you encounter as well as what the future holds for Mount Diablo and the Bay Area.
- Total Distance: This an easy to moderate 4-mile hike with a few hundred feet in elevation change.
- Leader: Liz Watson
- Weather Policy: Rain cancels.
- Cost: $6 per vehicle park entrance fee ($5 for seniors); exact cash required.
- Where To Meet: Assemble at the Mitchell Canyon Visitor Center. There are restrooms and a water fountain near the meeting spot.
- Notes: Bring water, snacks, dress in layers, and wear good hiking shoes. Bring poles if you normally use them. If you have questions about this outing email Ken Lavin at email@example.com or phone (415) 543-6771 x321.