11 Installations to See on the Illuminate SF Light Art Trail
San Francisco has a dazzling Light Art Trail, and thanks to a map released by Illuminate on Instagram, you can plan a night out to visit 11 light installations, part of Illuminate SF™.
Along the trail which runs from the Ferry Building to Castro Street, you’ll see:
1. The Bay Lights, Leo Villareal (2013), San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge West Span, Embarcadero
2. Buckyball, Leo Villareal (2012), Embarcadero: Pier 15 at Mission Street
3. White Light, Jenny Holzer (2018), SoMa/Yerba Buena: Salesforce Transit Center, Grand Hall
4. Day For Night, Jim Campbell (2018), Embarcadero: 415 Mission St.
5. Love Over Rules, Hank Willis Thomas (2017), Yerba Buena: 165 Jessie Street
6. Point Cloud, Leo Villarreal (2019), Moscone Center: 747 Howard St.
This 100-ft. pedestrian bridge towering over Howard Street connects the two sides of Moscone Center with a seemingly infinite array of lights.
7. THE LADDER (SUN OR MOON), Ivan Navarro (2020) Permanent, 1066 Market Street
8. Skygarden, James Turrell (2007), 90 Seventh St. facing Mission Street, Central Market
9. W.F.T., Joseph Kosuth (2019), Civic Center: Bill Graham Auditorium, 99 Grove St.
This mural presents the etymology, or “Word Family Tree”, of “civic” and “auditorium” in white neon.
10. Tara Mechani, Dana Albany (2019) Temporary, Hayes Valley: Patricia’s Green (Hayes at Octavia)
Inspired by the robot Maria from the classic silent film “Metropolis,” Tara Mechani is a 17-foot-high figurative sculpture that entwines aspects of the ancient female Buddha, Tara, with characteristics of a futuristic female robot.
11. Hope Will Never Be Silent, Illuminate (2017), Harvey Milk Plaza, Castro Street
12. Monumental Reckoning, @monumental_reckoning – Music Concourse in Golden Gate Park
13. Lift Every Voice, @monumental_reckoning – Music Concourse in Golden Gate Park