California Academy of Sciences Reopens Oct. 23
After a 214-day temporary closure, the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park will reopen to members and donors on October 13 and the general public on October 23.
Member and donor tickets will be available to reserve online beginning October 5, and public tickets on October 14. All guests will need to reserve timed-entry tickets in advance. Masks and social distancing required.
Museum is limited to 25% capacity during the initial stages of reopening.
California Academy of Sciences Reopening
– Members Oct. 13 (tickets can be reserved starting Oct. 5)
– General Public Oct. 23 (tickets can be reserved starting Oct. 14)
Please note that ticket prices have not been released as of Sept. 30 – Previously, tickets were $29.75 – $39.75 for adults
General Public Regular hours
Monday–Saturday: 9:30 am–5 pm
Sunday: 11 am–5 pm
🐧🎉 WE’RE BACK!🎉🐧 (And oh, how we’ve missed you.) Thrilled to announce that we’ll re-open to Members on Oct. 13, & to the general public starting Oct. 23. For full details, reservations, & new safety protocols, please start here: https://t.co/AHVZFXL2Oi. pic.twitter.com/YE9i3saL61
— CA AcademyOfSciences (@calacademy) September 29, 2020
Discounted Museum Admission
As part of the Museums for All cooperative, the Academy will continue to offer $3 Daytime Admission tickets to EBT, WIC, Lifeline Pass, and Medi-Cal cardholders every day of the year. These tickets are not available online at this time; simply present your card at the ticket window to purchase your $3 tickets. Limit 4 per group per visit.
If you are unable to make a reservation online, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plan-ahead Pricing: View the next six months of Daytime Admission and NightLife ticket prices on our ticket calendar and purchase at least one day ahead of your visit to lock in the lowest price. On average, adults purchasing one week in advance save $7 per ticket.
- Sustainable transportation discount: Get $3 off Daytime Admission when you walk, bike, or take public transit to the Academy. View our Getting Here page to plan your trip. Offer not available online.
- Free for 2 and under: All children age 2 and under enjoy free Daytime Admission to the Academy, everyday.
- Military discount: Active-duty military personnel receive $3 off Daytime Admission with valid military ID or proof of service (e.g., VA card or DD-214) at the ticket window. Offer does not apply to family, friends, or dependents.
How do I make a reservation?
Members and donors will be able to reserve tickets beginning October 5, and the general public beginning October 14. The process is the same as before, with one additional step of selecting an entry time along with a visit date. Here’s a preview of the process:
- Select your ticket. Currently, the only option is Daytime Admission.
- Select your visit date. Click the first dropdown menu to select a visit date within the next 3 weeks. The Academy will be open on our normal schedule, Monday-Saturday, 9:30-5 pm, and Sunday, 11 am-5 pm. Members-only hours are Tuesday, 8:30-9:30 am and Sunday, 10-11 am. Tip: Weekdays are always quieter than weekends, and ticket prices are usually lower.
- Select your entry time. Click the second dropdown menu to select an available entry time. Entry times are listed in 30-minute timeslots. If you select a 10 am entry time, you will be able to enter the museum between 10 am and 10:30 am. Please arrive as close to your entry time as possible as early or late entries may not be accommodated.
- Select your ticket quantity. Indicate how many Adults (18-64), Youth (3-17), Students (18+ with ID), and Seniors (65+ with ID) are in your party. Children 2 and under always visit for free. Tip: For everyone’s health and safety, please only visit with people in your household.
- Click Add to Cart to proceed to checkout. After completing your purchase, you will receive your tickets via email as a PDF attachment. On the day of your visit, please be sure to have your ticket PDF ready for scanning, either on your smartphone (brightness all the way up, please!) or printed out.
We’ve been busy—brand-new exhibits and a new planetarium show await! Prepare to celebrate dazzling nature photography from around the world with BigPicture, featuring 49 unforgettable winning images from our annual competition. After exploring winning photos in our airy, light-filled Piazza, guests can head downstairs to explore the brand-new aquarium exhibit Venom: Fangs, Stingers, and Spines, where more than a dozen often-feared yet biologically important species use deadly venom to capture prey and defend against predators. And even though the Morrison Planetarium will remain temporarily closed, guests can still view our newest planetarium show, Big Astronomy, online from home. Explore Chile’s epic mountaintop observatories and the people that keep them running every Wednesday at 11:30 am PT via YouTube until the Morrison Planetarium reopens.
Guests will enjoy exciting new pop-up programs with our presenters and biologists throughout our building and forest-lined gardens. Grab an outdoor table to fill up on delicious, locally sourced food from our Terrace Restaurant (with touchless transactions!), and marvel at autumn views from our Living Roof. Guests are invited to travel from coral reefs to space with ongoing Academy programs—fog or shine.