Caltrain & Sam Trans Are Free on New Year’s Eve 2020/21
In order to ensure that those needing a safe ride home at the end of their evening will have one, Caltrain and SamTrans will provide free rides starting at 8 p.m. on Thursday, December 31, until the end of service as it has in years past.
Thursday, December 31, 2020 – New Year’s Eve
Caltrain and SamTrans will be operating their regular weekday service, with free fares after 8 p.m. The last southbound train departs San Francisco at 12:02 a.m.
- Caltrain: Please note that unlike previous years, there will be no special late night service.
- SamTrans resumes collecting fares at 5am on January 1st.
Friday, January 1, 2021 – New Year’s Day
Caltrain and SamTrans will operate a Sunday schedule. SamTrans’ will resume collecting fares at 5 a.m., Caltrain will be collecting fares when service begins at 8 a.m.
Both agencies advise that everyone respect public health orders and avoid large gatherings in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). Caltrain does not allow open alcohol containers on trains after 9 p.m. Disruptive passengers will be asked to leave the train.
- Free Caltrain / AC Transit / VTA / SamTrans on New Year’s Eve 2020/2021 – updated 12/29/20
- Muni – No announcement yet whether they are offering free rides or special NYE service.
- BART – No free rides, and no special late night service
- AC Transit – Free rides from 8pm to 5am
- VTA – Free rides starting at 8pm
- SamTrans – Free rides from 8pm to 5am
- Caltrain – Free rides from 8pm (last train departs SF at 12:02am)
- Golden Gate Transit Bus – No free rides. Running normal weekday service
- Golden Gate Ferry – No free rides. Running limited service on New Year’s Eve
The administrative offices of the San Mateo County Transit District, which manages Caltrain and SamTrans, will be closed on New Year’s Day. Caltrain customer service is available on New Year’s Eve, December 31, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on New Year’s Day, January 1, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by phone at 1.800.660.4287.