Free Muni / Caltrain / AC Transit / VTA / SamTrans on New Year’s Eve 2018/2019
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Francisco Bay Area |
Submitted by the Event Organizer
If you choose to get hammered on New Year’s Eve, rest assured you can get home safely for free via bus, train or light rail if you live anywhere other than the North Bay. Within San Francisco, get free rides on Muni all night starting at 8 pm on December 31, 2018.
Other Free Rides Home
We’ve denoted below if we have information verified for 12/31/18.
SF Muni – Confirmed for 12/31/18
Free rides on all Muni lines and routes from 8 pm on New Year’s Eve until 5 am on New Year’s Day.
>>IMPORTANT: Please do not tag your Clipper card during the complimentary service.
- Extra Owl service from 1am to 5am on 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 25 Treasure Island, 38 Geary, 44 O’Shaughnessy, 48 Quintara/24th , 90 Owl, 91 Owl, L Owl, N Owl
- Extra Muni Metro service all night:
- Between West Portal and Embarcadero stations until 5 am.
- Between West Portal Station and 4th & King until 2:15 am.
- Service on the F Market & Wharves historic streetcar line is provided by buses all day
- Service on the Cable Cars is provided by buses after approximately 6 pm.
AC Transit – Confirmed for 12/31/18
AC Transit has confirmed for us that they will again be offering free rides on all lines on 12/31/18 beginning New Year’s Eve from 8 pm until 5 am on New Year’s Day.
Free Downtown Oakland Broadway Shuttle – Confirmed for 12/31/18
Downtown Oakland’s Free B Shuttle runs on New Year’s Eve every 12 minutes from 7 pm to 10 pm, perfect for pre-gaming; hop on and hop off at any stop between Embarcadero West (Jack London Square) and 27th Street.
SamTrans – Confirmed for 12/31/18
Starting at 8 pm and lasting until 5 am, SamTrans will allow passengers to board free of charge on all bus lines, as a way to encourage party goers to leave their cars at home. Confirmed for 12/31/18 via sfmta.com
CalTrain – Confirmed for 12/31/18
Free rides starting at 8 pm with extra late night trains. Typically, there are four post-fireworks trains that take off as soon as they are full. Don’t tag your clipper card.
Caltrain runs two extra trains headed to San Francisco during the early evening and will operate additional southbound trains after the end of the San Francisco fireworks show. Post-firework trains will make all local weekend stops from San Francisco to San Jose. Departure times will vary depending on crowd size and will depart when full, with the final train departing San Francisco at 2 am.
VTA – Confirmed for 12/31/18
Between 8 pm on New Year’s Eve and 5 am on New Year’s Day, all VTA service will be free.
- Last trip leaving Santa Teresa at 1:52 am.
- Last trip leaving Alum Rock at 1:43 am.
- Last trip leaving Winchester at 1:51 am.
- Last trip leaving Mountain View at 10:47 pm.
- Last trip leaving Old Ironsides (southbound only) at 12:50 am.
Express Line 181 (to the Warm Springs BART Station)
- Last northbound bus leaving Diridon Station at 2:09 am. arriving at Warm Springs BART at 2:45 am.
- Last southbound bus leaving Warm Springs BART at 3:08 am. arriving at 2nd & Santa Clara at 3:37 am. (Does not go to the Diridon Station)
BART – Confirmed for 12/31/18
No special fares for New Year’s Eve, but there will be extended service until 3 am. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains standing by in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show. View BART NYE Schedule. The best tip we can give is to buy your round trip ticket in advance to avoid a line on the way home.
>> “Skip Stop” Schedule at Embarcadero, Montgomery and West Oakland
Beginning at 8 pm, BART will utilize a “skip-stop” train pattern into and out of San Francisco:
Going into San Francisco – After 8 pm:
- Antioch and Richmond line trains heading into San Francisco will not stop at Embarcadero Station. Exit at Montgomery Street Station for the fireworks show.
- Dublin/Pleasanton and So. Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. Exit at Embarcadero Station for the fireworks show.
- Trains from Millbrae, Daly City, and SFO will stop at all stations in San Francisco.
Last Trains Home – After the fireworks end:
- Antioch/Richmond trains will not stop at Embarcadero. Use Montgomery – Last Train 3:20 am – change at MacArthur for Richmond
- Dublin/ Pleasanton and So. Fremont/Warm Springs trains will not stop at Montgomery. Use Embarcadero – Last Train 3:06 am – trains will not stop at West Oakland. The first East Bay stop will be Lake Merritt Station. You will need to change to a SF-bound train at Lake Merritt if you need to return to West Oakland.
- Millbrae, Daly City, and SFO passengers should use Montgomery Street Station. Last Train 3:58am
Golden Gate Transit Bus – Confirmed for 12/31/18 – offers no special fares for New Year’s Eve and will run a normal Sunday schedule.
Golden Gate Ferry – Confirmed for 12/31/18 – will operate on a normal Sunday schedule on New Year’s Eve and will be closed on New Year’s Day.
All details have been confirmed with the transit agencies for December 31, 2018.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, East Bay, New Year's Day, New Year's Eve, Peninsula, San Francisco, South Bay