32 Places in SF & Oakland Where Kids Can Get Free Meals
Many Bay Area students typically get their meals at school. But during the shutdown, sometimes there is no place for kids to get affordable meals.
Starting last week students were offered free “grab and go” breakfast and lunch that they can take home with them. Schools worked with other community partners and local agencies to ensure that students have access to food throughout the school closure.
Oakland – Free Student Meal Program
- About 71% of students are on free or reduced-price meals
- Meals programs offered at 12 sites, Monday & Thursday between 8am and Noon – Multiple days worth of food can be picked up to take home.
- Northwest/West Oakland: Sankofa Elementary, West Oakland Middle School, Hoover Elementary
- Central Oakland: Oakland High School, Garfield Elementary
- East Oakland: Bret Harte Middle School, Life Academy/United for Success, Coliseum College Preparatory Academy, Madison Park Upper, Fremont High School, Castlemont High School, Elmhurst United Middle School
- View the map of meal pickup sites
San Francisco – Free Student Meal Program
Kids can pick up breakfast, lunch, supper, fresh fruit, vegetables and milk to take home.
No identification or proof of school enrollment is required, but a child must be present. Shelf-stable meals will also be available. Families will not need to enter the school building for pick-up.
- There are 20 meal pick-up sites. See the map.
- Meals can be picked up from 9am to 10am Monday through Friday