SF’s Newest Park “India Basin” Groundbreaking (June 17)
Join in at at Hunters Point Boulevard and Hawes Street on June 17 for this momentous first step in the creation of Bayview-Hunters Point’s next great park.
This groundbreaking event marks the beginning of remediation work at the project’s 900 Innes site, and will feature a shovel ceremony, brief remarks and community activities.
India Basin Groundbreaking
June 17, 2021 | 3-4:30 pm
India Basin Shoreline Park (Hunters Point Blvd. and Hawes)
Read more at San Francisco Parks Alliance.
San Francisco’s newest waterfront park will deliver miles of winding shoreline trails, acres of restored tidal landscape and an abundance of recreation opportunities to the Bayview’s front porch.
With a variety of recreational and natural features, the new park will build on what makes this neighborhood unique and offer direct access to a vibrant waterfront.
The project presents a unique opportunity to create connections: to unite the historic boatyard of 900 Innes and the underutilized India Basin Shoreline Park and India Basin Open Space into one park; to complete 1.7 miles of accessible shoreline; and to foster better accessibility from the neighborhood to the water and the community to the site’s history
With an emphasis on access, social equity, economic opportunity, recreation, sea level-rise resiliency, and habitat enhancement, this project will provide:
- Restored public access to the shoreline, including new piers and a floating dock for fishing and kayaking
- Public art installations and gathering spaces, including family picnic areas
- New multi-purpose buildings for concessions and programming, as well as a rehabilitated landmark Shipwright’s Cottage
- New trails, ADA-accessible pathways, connection to open space and natural wetland habitat
- Recreational facilities, including basketball courts, children’s play areas, and adult fitness stations