The Weekend in Cheap
This weekend in San Francisco features a series of contrasts: thigh-burning hikes or street food gluttony & discount boozing; beautiful cherry blossoms or descend into chaos with highly literate anarchists. Only in San Francisco, right?
Here’s our picks for our favorite five things to do this weekend – April 8-10, 2011.
Friday, April 8, 2011
Off The Grid: Friday Night Food Truck Party
The biggest and the best of the “Off the Grid” food truck parties takes place each Friday at Fort Mason. Expect around 25 different food trucks and tented street food vendors including favorites like Chairman Bao, Cupkates, Kung Fu Tacos and more. Venue has a full bar run by Alembic and live music.
– Fort Mason Parking Lot (Marina & Laguna) | Friday April 8, 5p-10p | FREE Admission, food for purchase
– Rainy day alternative – see the free Olmec exhibit at the de Young (yes, totally free on Friday nights from 5 to 8:45p)
Saturday, April 9, 2011
44th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival
A huge two-weekend-long annual festival and street fair celebrating Japanese culture with cultural performances, martial arts, origami classes, haiku contests and more.
– Japantown (Post btwn Fillmore & Laguna) | Sat & Sun, April 9-10, April 16-17 | 10a-6p | FREE
16th Annual Anarchist Book Fair
A free two-day fair and festival with tons of booksellers, political groups,and independent publishers peddling their anarchist/socialist/whateverist zines, books, pamphlets and more. Panels and lectures from over 30 speakers.
– County Fair Building, Golden Gate Park (Lincoln & 9th Ave.) | Sat & Sun, April 9-10 | 10a-6p | FREE admission
– You might also like: 8 Days of Anarchy (April 5-12) – an unsurprisingly totally unorganized weeklong festival
Scenic Hiking Tour of San Francisco’s Hills
This hike’s a thigh-burner, but it’s a great opportunity to sample all the great views from some of San Francisco’s central hills. This is a 13 mile hike (don’t worry – it’s casual and you’re welcome to quit at anytime when you’re tired) and starts in Bernal Heights, goes to Mount Davidson, Twin Peaks, Tank Hill and more.
– Meet at Cortland and Ellsworth in Bernal Hights | Saturday, April 9 – 11am | FREE
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Yelp Drinks! 2011: Final Day
During the annual Yelp Drinks! event, you’ll get a chance to sip on lip-smackingly good adult libations at Cantina (pictured left) and over 25 other watering holes that locals love with each venue featuring selected hand-crafted cocktails, beer or wine for 50% off. These happy hour deals are good all day from April 4th through April 10th. Photo credit: SF Examiner
– For more details: Yelp Drinks! San Francisco | Yelp Drinks! East Bay | Yelp Drinks! Silicon Valley
What about the week ahead? Just because it’s no longer the weekend doesn’t mean the fun ends.
Monday, April 11 – Gin cocktail competitions, free in-store concerts, travel guide giveaways
Tuesday, April 12 – Free Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Day, Yuri’s Night 2011, Classical Revolution
Wednesday, April 13 – Earth Expo, free movie night, learn how to be a human beatbox
Thursday April, 14 -Divisadero Art Walk, hopscotch & hula hooping for adults, jews + ping pong
FuncheapSF Top Ten List
Most Popular Upcoming Events as of 4/7/11
- Off The Grid: Friday Night Food Truck Party | Fort Mason
- SFO’s New Terminal 2 Open House | SF
- 44th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival | Japantown
- Free Cone Day 2011 | Ben & Jerry’s
- Yelp Drinks! 2011: 50% off Cocktails Week | (April 4-10)
- Free Exhibit Day @ de Young Museum | Olmec: Ancient Mexico
- Scenic Hiking Tour Of San Francisco Hills | Bernal Heights
- Burlesque Night & $2 PBR | Mission Dist.
- Volunteer for Free Tickets to 2011 Green Festival | SoMa
- Cesar E. Chavez Holiday Parade | Mission Dist.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Eating & Drinking