Home » Lectures & Workshops
Free Sugar Skull Decorating Workshop for Adults | SF
Join the Library for ¡VIVA! an annual celebration of Latino Hispanic heritage, cultures and traditions. San Francisco has a rich Latino heritage that is highlighted in a diverse array of exciting programs, from performances to film screenings, crafts to food tastings.
There are more than 90 free ¡VIVA! programs for all ages.
¡VIVA! Celebrating Latin Hispanic Heritage
September – November, 2017
San Francisco Public Library – All Branches
2017 Festival Highlights
Arts & Crafts
- Repujado: Tin Art – Sept. 21, 4 p.m., Bernal Heights Branch
- Screen Print Workshop by Calixto Robles – Sept. 23, 2 p.m., Mission Branch
- Fabric Dyeing with Peopleologie – Sept. 26, 3 p.m., Glen Park Branch
- Maya, Olmec & Aztec Hieroglyphs – Sept. 19, 1:30 p.m., Excelsior Branch
- Incas, Llamas & Looms – Sept. 19, 4 p.m., Bernal Heights Branch
Paper Flower Crafts
- Sept. 19, 4 p.m., Park Branch
- Sept. 30, 2 p.m., Ocean View Branch
- Oct. 5, 4 p.m., Bernal Heights Branch
- Oct. 13, 3 p.m., Golden Gate Valley Branch
- View the program guide for more information.
Salsa Making (all ages)
Join in for a relaxed and fun-filled time of all things salsa. Learn how to make salsa from scratch. All materials provided. Limited space. All ages. View the program guide for more information.
- Sept. 16, 2 p.m., Ortega Branch
- Sept. 24, 2 p.m., Portola Branch
- Oct. 14, 2 p.m., West Portal Branch
- Oct. 21, 4 p.m., Excelsior Branch
Spanish Cheese & Wine Pairing (adults)
Curious about pairing wine with cheese? Join in as we discover ways to pair Spanish wine with cheese. Adults.
Guacamole Making for Children
Lectures & Author Talks
Dia de los Muertos Programs
Day of the Dead Alter Workshops
Various locations beginning Oct. 7 – Nov. 2. View the program guide for more information.
Join us for a hands-on workshop and help create a Día de los Muertos community altar. Colorful and overflowing with offerings, the Día de los Muertos altar is a celebration of those who have passed on. All ages are welcome to participate.
- Saturday, Oct. 7 – 2 p.m. – Merced Branch
- Saturday, Oct. 7 – 3 p.m. – Western Addition Branch
- Wednesday, Oct. 18 – 4 p.m. – Ingleside Branch
- Wednesday, Oct. 18 – 4 p.m. – Mission Branch
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 – 3:30 p.m. – Visitacion Valley Branch
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 – 4 p.m. – Richmond Branch
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 – 6:30 p.m. – Park Branch
- Thursday, Oct. 26 – 3 p.m. – Bayview Branch
- Thursday, Oct. 26 – 3 p.m. – Eureka Valley Branch
- Thursday, Oct. 26 – 3 p.m. – Marina Branch
- Thursday, Oct. 26 – 4 p.m. – Mission Branch
- Friday, Oct. 27 – 3:30 p.m. – Glen Park Branch
- Saturday, Oct. 28 – 3 p.m. – West Portal Branch
- Monday, Oct. 30 – 4 p.m. – Bernal Heights Branch
- Thursday, Nov. 2 – 4 p.m. – Excelsior Branch
Sugar Skull Decorating
Decorate a Sugar Skull for your Día de Los Muertos alta. Materials provided.
- Friday, Oct. 13 – 2 p.m. – Glen Park Branch • Adults
- Friday, Oct. 27 – 3:30 p.m. – Mission Branch • Children 5+
- Nov 2, all day, Mission Branch. View program guide for more information.
Mission Celebrates Día de los Muertos
Thursday, Nov. 2 – 6:30 p.m. Mission Quad
Mission Branch will have an altar and sugar skulls to decorate outside of our door. The community procession begins at 7 p.m. and winds through the Mission district, finishing at Garfield Park where elaborate altars are showcased. For more information, please visit: dayofthedeadsf.org. All ages.
Categories: Lectures & Workshops
Address: 2825 Diamond Street, San Francisco CA
Submitted by Michie