Home » Art & Museums, Club / DJ, Eating & Drinking, Halloween, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops
Halloween at the Museum: Thriller Dance Lesson, Live Music & Food Trucks | Oakland
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Get your Oakland groove on at Friday Nights @ OMCA – a weekly free outdoor experience with food trucks and music.
This is a great community gathering that is most vibrant during March-November when the garden and terraces are open as well as during certain weeks in the summer that turn into a big block party. Check Facebook and their website for updates as most activities are seasonal.
Friday Nights at OMCA
– 5-9 pm during Winter (typically Nov-Mar)
– 5-10 pm during Spring/Summer/Fall (typically Apr-Oct)
Oakland Museum of California, 1000 Oak St., Oakland
FREE (for food truck access and seasonal outdoor activities) – Optional Museum admission for purchase
– Always check the schedule first for updates/cancellations
- Please note, fees for special exhibitions still apply. Ages 8 & under are free
- Marketplace @ OMCA: Local makers selling handcrafted works and art
- Music, DJs, acoustic sets, and dance lessons (Seasonal)
- A rotating list of Off The Grid food trucks and featured artists
- Family fun at Friday Nights: Every Friday night, from 5 to 8 pm, features free hands-on art workshops for all ages, and select Fridays feature storytime with the Oakland Public Library from 6 to 6:30 pm
How to get here: OMCA is located one block from the Lake Merritt BART Station.
Parking: Free street parking of often available. Event parking is available at the Museum Garage, with a $7 flat fee starting at 5 pm. The Museum garage closes at 10:30 pm. Directions.
Garden Access: OMCA’s garden and terraces are open and free to visitors during Friday Nights @ OMCA from March through November, with the exception of dates when the garden is rented for private events.
Updated 1/20/2020 – Event info last checked via website
Join OMCA and Off the Grid on 10th Street for a truly Thriller-esque Halloween celebration, including local music, food, art, science, and culture. Savor California beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages around the Koi Pond at the Blue Oak beer garden. Enjoy half-price admission, live music, hands-on activities for kids, and extended OMCA Store hours.
What to expect on October 31:
- 5–9 pm: Half-off gallery admission for adults, free for ages 18 and under
- 5–9 pm: Local beer and wine specials in the Blue Oak beer garden
- 5–9 pm: All museum galleries open late
- 5–9 pm: Gourmet food trucks from Off the Grid featuring the best in local cuisine
- 5–6:30 pm: October resident DJ Mpenzi spinning hits in the 10th Street Amphitheater
- 5–8 pm: Family-friendly drop-in activity: Paper marigold-making, in honor of the exhibition Songs and Sorrows: Días de los Muertos 20th Anniversary
- 6–8 pm: Makers & Tasters Series featuring a select vendor from Whole Foods Market
- 6–6:30 pm: Special spooky Halloween-themed story time with Oakland Public Library
- 6:30–7 pm: Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance lesson by Bay Area Flash Mob in the 10th Street Amphitheater
- 7–9 pm: Live band Cynthia Lin and the Blue Moon All Stars playing indie music in the 10th Street Amphitheater
- 7:30–7:45 pm: A Snack Size Docent Tour, a fifteen-minute mini-tour led by a talented OMCA Docent to introduce you to one of the galleries—you won’t know which until the tour begins.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
*Half-price gallery admission for adults; ages 18 and under are free. Admission for members is always free. Cash bar. Prices vary for Off the Grid food trucks.
Categories: Art & Museums
, Club / DJ
, Eating & Drinking
, Kids & Families
, Lectures & Workshops
Address: 1000 Oak Street Oakland, CA 94607