4th Annual “Rosie Rally” & Home Front Festival | Richmond
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Craneway Pavilion | 1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond, CA
Thousands will gather at the Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front National Historical Park for the 4th Annual “Rosie Rally” and Home Front Festival.
4th Annual Home Front Festival and Rosie Rally
Saturday, August 11, 2018 | 11 am to 4 pm
Craneway Pavilion, 1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond
This year, instead of breaking the Guinness record, everyone is encouraged to update Rosie or represent home front occupations in creative ways, or to come in traditional garb to join the largest Rosie celebration and festival yet.
This year’s event will honor original WWII Rosies and home front workers and celebrate the ordinary people from many backgrounds, races and communities across the U.S. who stepped up to extraordinary challenges during WWII.
There will be a costume contest that will feature 5 unique categories:
- Best Traditional Rosie Costume – Pay homage to the iconic “We Can Do It!” woman herself, and show off your best Rosie the Riveter outfit – coveralls, polka-dot bandanna, and all
- Best Non-Rosie Home Front Worker – The Home Front wasn’t just Riveters. Nurses, welders, electricians, victory gardeners, and more all did their part to help the war effort
- Best Parent/Child Costume – Make it a family affair and come in matching attire, or show off your take on a Home Front theme
- Best Authentic ’40s Period Costume – Dust off your skirt suits and shoulder pads, and slip on those saddle shoes. What would Rosie (or Roger) have worn on a day off?
- Most Creative Interpretation of Home Front History – Here’s your chance to get those creative juices flowing. You might come as a Liberty Ship, a Victory Garden, a Ration Book, or anything else you can dream up
A grand prize Audience Favorite will be chosen from the winners of the contest categories above.
At 1:30 pm, Liz Etler will be giving free swing dance lessons. Liz will be teaching the Lindy Hop along with other popular dance moves from the 1940s.
Plus, Karen Buchanan will be leading a Home Front history walk at 2 pm from the Craneway Pavilion to the Rosie the Riveter Memorial in the Marina Park and back. Join Kathleen for a short hike and the a chance to learn more about the history of the Home Front.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Live Music