Immersive Design Week: Feb. 20 – March 1 | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Francisco Bay Area |
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Immersive Design Week | February 20 to March 1
Immersive Design Week is a decentralized community festival of events hosted by independent producers.
Immersive Design Week is an annual, decentralized community festival spotlighting innovative designers, projects and technologies that sit at the nexus of film, theater, gaming, mixed reality, & immersive storytelling.
Immersive Design Week
February 20 – March 1, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area – various locations
Immersive Design Week is open to absolutely everyone, and is a decentralized celebration of the immersive industry.
2020 Immersive Design Week Schedule
- Feb 19 – Mar 5 (Various Dates) – [AR]T Walk: Augmented Realities Co-curated with New Museum @ Apple Store Union Square – FREE w/ RSVP
Experience new augmented reality works from Nick Cave, Nathalie Djurberg and Hans Berg, Cao Fei, John Giorno, Carsten Höller, and Pipilotti Rist on an interactive guided walk. You’ll journey through an immersive world filled with sights and sounds. Bring only what you need. Devices will be provided. Headphones provided or bring your AirPods. This walk is about 1.5 miles. Routes are wheelchair accessible.
- Sat Feb. 22, 6 pm: Rashad Pridgen and the Global Street Dance Collective – Interactive dance performance & video workshop @ Apple Store Union Square – FREE w/ RSVP
Join performance artist and creative director Rashad Pridgen (IG) @soul_nubian and The Global Street Dance Collective for an interactive dance performance and video workshop. Opening with a dynamic Afro-futurist presentation, The Global Street Dance project will share inspiration, offering a window into the relationship between popular street dance styles and traditional African dance. Participants will be guided to explore new features in creating their own dance videos on the iPad Pro camera and iMovie.
- Sat Feb 22, 7 pm: Erica Blair – Safe x Brave: Sexuality in Immersive Design – FREE w/ RSVP
Together, we will gather for an intimate discussion group to explore the intersection of sexuality & immersive design, and how to forward both at the same time.
- Sun Feb 23, 7 pm: Andrew Evans – Designing Wonder: Exploring the Intersection of Magic and Design – FREE w/ RSVP
In 2014, Andrew Evans (The Magic Patio, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, IDEO) transformed his apartment’s back yard patio into an outdoor magic theater. After 4 years of sold out shows and a few strong words from the city permit office, The Magic Patio @themagicpatio has been reimagined in a new–still secret–indoor location hidden behind a custom-built candy shop in SF’s Mission/Bernal district. In this presentation/performance Andrew will share a few of his signature illusions followed by a look into the creation of The Magic Patio and how principles of magic can be used to shape experiences beyond the stage.
- Tues Feb 25, 6 pm: Mel Waters – Digital mural workshop @ Apple Store Union Square – FREE w/ RSVP
Born and raised in San Francisco, muralist and tattoo artist Mel Waters shares the inspiration behind some of his most celebrated works in the city. From cartoons to hip hop and 90s graffiti art, Waters will demonstrate how diverse influences have shaped his aesthetic and approach to telling the stories of the Bay. Participants will have the opportunity to design their own small-scale mural sketch using Procreate on iPad Pro.
- Feb 20 – Mar 1: The End of You @ Gray Area – $25
- Feb 20 – 29: Epic Immersive presents: Bohemia @ Hotel Whitcomb – $75
- Fri Feb 21 – Sun Feb 23: What a Riot: An Immersive Comedy Cabaret – $45
- Sat Feb 22 & Sat Feb 29, 3pm & 6pm: HUM, a tiny show for 2 @ Lucky Penny Parlor – $50/pair
- Tues Feb 25, 6pm: First Person Travel immersive software platform workshop and tutorial – Details TBA
- Tues Feb 25, 7pm: Private Gregangelo Museum Tour for the Designer – $30
- Wed Feb 26, 6 pm: Intro to Augmented Reality Development – Microsoft HoloLens 2 & Enklu @ E.Den Westfield – $15 w/ code IDW2020
- Wed Feb 26, 7pm: Audium: Sound and Space Workshop – $25
- Feb 26 – 28: Liar Liar presents Two Coins for the Ferryman– $25
- Thu Feb 27, 6pm: Curious at the End: Apocalyptic Cabaret – $15
- Sun Mar 1: A reading from The Dream Thief hosted by First Person Travel – Details TBA
– Last Updated 2/17/20
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.