“Poetry in Parks” Festival on Angel Island | 2019
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Angel Island | Angel Island, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
The 5th Annual Poetry in Parks at Ayala Cove on Angel Island is a free, family-friendly arts festival presented by Quiet Lightning, California State Parks, and Kearny Street Workshop on September 15, 2019 from 11:30 am to 4 pm. Please note the event is free, but you’ll need to get yourself to Angel Island.
Free books for the first 100 people, featuring all of the selected writings to be read as part of the literary mixtape, and new art by Connie Zheng.
- Youth readings
- A literary mixtape curated by Katie Tandy and July Westhale: lineup TBA soon
- Neighborhood Heroes, with readings by Kirin Khan, Genny Lim, Kenji C. Liu, Janice Lobo Sapigao, Truong Tran, and Flo Oy Wong, curated by Kearny Street Workshop
- Live music by Cindy Z
- Live painting by Joshua Coffy, Nathalie Fabri, Dilcia Giron, and Allison Snopek, curated by ArtSpan
- Collage station for kids
- Beer courtesy Lagunitas, with wine and non-alcoholic beverages available
Ferry information/to get to the event
- There are two ferries departing for Angel Island: from San Francisco at Pier 41, starting at 9:45am ($19.5 round trip, takes about 25 min); from Tiburon, starting at 10am ($15 round trip, takes about 15 min).
- It’s suggested you arrive at least 20 minutes early.
- Tiburon accepts cash and checks only, though you can purchase the SF tickets in advance.
- Once you arrive on Angel Island, you will see signs and Quiet Lightning greeters, but to get to the event site you simply take a right when you disembark from the ferry, and walk around the cove until you get to the picnic tables. It’s about a quarter of a mile walk on a flat surface.
- Accessibility is important to us. If you have any special needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our absolute best to accommodate you.
Other possibly helpful information
- You are welcome to bring snacks, though there is a cafe on the island and we will have draft beer available for purchase, courtesy of Lagunitas, as well as wine and non-alcoholic beverages. There are water fountains with potable water at the event site.
- Seating consists of wooden picnic tables, so if you have a cushion, a folding chair, or a blanket you’d like to bring, there’s plenty of space for it. If you need a seat, please email email@example.com no later than 48 hours before the event and we will do our absolute best to accommodate you.
- Dogs are not allowed on the island, service animals excepted. This does not include the use of emotional support animals which are not covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
More information to be added here, but if you have any questions at all please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.