“Restore the Fourth 1984 Day”: Rally for Privacy | Justin Herman Plaza
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Embarcadero Plaza | 1 Market Street, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Come out to “1984 on 8/4” to rally for your privacy and learn about surveillance from a distinguished group of speakers at Justin Herman Plaza starting at noon on Sunday, August 4, 2013.
The rally begins at the plaza at noon. At 1 pm, speakers with direct experience with NSA data collection will take the stage. After the speakers, a wall of public comments on surveillance in the US assembled during the event will be delivered to Rep. Nancy Pelosi‘s district office.
- Daniel Ellsberg: Former US military analyst, author, and activist. Mr. Ellsberg famously leaked the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times in 1971, revealing the systematic deception of four presidencies as well as prompting the 1st Amendment case, NYT v. United States.
- Mark Klein: AT&T/NSA whistleblower who revealed in 2006 that AT&T was secretly cooperating with the NSA to divert communications to the intelligence agency, leading to the Hepting v. AT&T lawsuit.
- Jennifer Granick: Director of Civil Liberties for the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School. Jennifer Granick has written extensively about NSA surveillance, including a recent piece in The New York Times entitled “The Criminal NSA.”
- Norman Solomon: Norman is an author journalist, politician, media critic and founder of the Institute for Public Accuracy.
- Cullen Hoback: Cullen is Director of “Terms and Conditions May Apply,” a documentary exploring the loss of online privacy.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Lectures & Workshops, San Francisco