SFMOMA Re-Opening Celebration | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
SFMOMA | 151 Third Street, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
The newly expanded SFMOMA will finally reopen on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 10 am to 8 pm. An opening ceremony will be held at 9 am and free admission will be offered for the entire day.
Free Ticketsto Opening Day (as well as general admission tickets for other days) will be available Wednesday, March 30, starting at noon. Tickets are timed, available in 15-minute intervals. – All 5,000 free tickets are sold out.
With nearly triple its previous gallery space, SFMOMA will showcase 260 works from the distinguished Doris and Donald Fisher Collection of postwar and contemporary art, more than 600 artworks promised to the museum through its Campaign for Art on view for the first time, cherished favorites from its permanent collection, as well as recent work commissioned for the new museum.
Learn more about the expansion, drop by the SFMOMA Artists Gallery, and browse their inaugural exhibitions and events to start planning your visit.
Museum Hours (Starting May 14): Galleries are open daily 10 am–5 pm, and Thursdays until 9 pm. Public spaces are open daily at 9 am.
May 14th Opening Day Celebration
Ribbon Cutting & Neighborhood Celebration
- 8:30 a.m.–10 a.m. – Ribbon-cutting ceremony at SFMOMA
- 11 a.m. – Neighborhood museums open to the public for FREE (see below).
- Noon–5:30 p.m. – Yerba Buena Gardens Festival programming
- Noon–2 p.m. – Mexican Museum/Precita Eyes mural activation in Jessie Square, the future site of the Mexican Museum
- 1–5 p.m. – Root Divison and Youth Arts Exchange student showcase and performance
Meet the Neighbors:
Opening Day celebrations are spilling out into the neighborhood. Check out the day’s events and free entry at institutions throughout the Yerba Buena Gardens cultural district and beyond.
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- Museum of the African Diaspora
- Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Mexican Museum with Precita Eyes
- Children’s Creativity Museum
- California Historical Society
- Yerba Buena Community Benefit District — Annie Alley
- Yerba Buena Gardens Festival
- Crown Point Press
- The American Bookbinders Museum
- The Tenderloin Museum (offsite)
- San Francisco Art Dealers Association
- Museum of Performance + Design (offsite)
- Root Division (offsite)
- 111 Minna Gallery (offsite)
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Free Museum Day, San Francisco, San FranFREEsco