SF’s 2023 “Juneteenth on the Waterfront” (Ferry Plaza)
Ferry Building | The Embarcadero and Ferry Plaza, San Francisco, CA
Celebrate local Black-owned businesses at the 3rd annual Juneteenth on the Waterfront on Saturday, June 10. Kick off a month of Juneteenth celebrations in San Francisco with a day of delicious food, community, and family fun at the Embarcadero Ferry Terminal Plaza (south of the Ferry Building) and Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Entry is free and open to the public, and food and drinks will be available for purchase.
Juneteenth on the Waterfront is part of Pop-Ups on the Plaza, a series of events celebrating Bay Area Black-owned food businesses. Juneteenth on the Waterfront is a Port sponsored event brought to you by Foodwise and MegaBlack SF. This program is proudly funded in partnership with the San Francisco Human Rights Commission’s Dream Keeper Initiative. Additional support is provided by the Ferry Building.
Pop-Ups on the Plaza features businesses in Foodwise’s Building Equity program, which supports the business growth, economic viability, and asset-building of BIPOC food entrepreneurs. Foodwise and our community partners, En2action’s Ujamaa Kitchen, La Cocina, Mandela Partners, and SF Black Wallstreet, are proudly committed to uplifting and advancing equity for BIPOC, immigrant, and limited-resource entrepreneurs across the Bay Area.
Participating Food Businesses & Activities on the Plaza
Visit the Ferry Terminal Plaza (south of the Ferry Building) for special pop-up food vendors, family activities, music, and more:
- A Girl Named Pinky: Cakes, Cookies, Treats
- Brutha’s Honey: Raw Honey, Honeycomb, Beeswax Candles, Lip Balm
- Chef Sarah Germany: Smoked Catfish, Hot Sauces, BBQ Sauces
- Fillmore Merchants and Neighborhood Collaborative: Sir Hands, Papa Rudy’s, The Fillmore Sandwich Shop
- Gumbo Social: Gumbo, Cali Greens (Vegan), Shrimp Po’Boy, Red Drink
- Harmonic Bliss Wellness: Crystals, Candles, Bath Salt Soaks, Diffusers, Sage, Crystal Jewelry
- The Lemonade Bar: Organic lemonades and organic frozen lemonades
- Mo’Raysha’s: Oxtails, Mac & Cheese, Greens, Lobster & Shrimp Mac & Cheese
- The Pleasure Principle Supperclub & Dining Events: Jerk Mac Salad, Bottled Sauces, Oxtail Philly
- Radio Africa & Kitchen: Barley Mushroom Risotto, Flank Steak, Berbere & Parmesan Cheese
- Sweets by Sevynn: Apple Nachos, Beignets, Vegan Beignets
- The Vegan Hood Chefs: Avocado Tacos, Poke Nachos, Hot Hunny Sando, Black Power Bowl
- Community Zone with the MegaBlack SF, Port of San Francisco, En2action, and more
- Foodwise Education Programming: Design a Juneteenth Tote
- Kids Activity with Bonita the Bumblebee
- Music by DJ Lonnie Taylor of BFF.fm
Check back for updates.
In the Black Pop-Up Craft Market & SF Black Wallstreet Lounge
Visit the south patio in front of the Ferry Building to relax in the SF Black Wallstreet lounge and support six Black makers at the In the Black pop-up craft market.
Programs at the Foodwise Classroom
Join us at the Foodwise Classroom (green tent in front of the Ferry Building) for free public programs:
- Foodwise Demo: Chef Sarah Germany (10:30 am)
- Black Food & Wine Makers Talk (12:00 pm): Join Black restaurateurs and sommeliers for a Juneteenth-themed discussion about Black farmers and the Black food migration to California. Speakers include Tanya Holland (chef, author, and restaurateur), Michele McQueen(Town Fare), Fern A. Stroud (Black Vines – A Toast to Black Wineries and Diverse Art), andRyan Williams (Hall Wines). Moderated by Tiffany Carter (Boug Cali) and Fernay McPherson(Minnie Bell’s Soul Movement)
Support MegaBlack SF When You Shop
Participating Ferry Plaza Farmers Market vendors will be donating a portion of their proceeds from the day to the MegaBlack SF Black Wellness Fund, with Hudson Pacific Properties, landlord of the Ferry Building, matching up to $2,500. Look for signage at participating businesses, or donate directly here.
MegaBlack SF fights for visibility, sovereignty, dignity and justice for Black San Franciscans. The MegaBlack SF Black Wellness Fund invests in organizations that address issues of mental health and wellness; economic development, including employment and housing; and education for African American residents in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Celebrate Juneteenth Across San Francisco
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day, celebrates the anniversary of Black emancipation in the United States. It is honored on the anniversary of June 19, 1865, when freedom from slavery was proclaimed in the state of Texas. Join these Juneteenth events in San Francisco throughout the week:
- June 10: San Francisco Juneteenth Parade
- June 16: City Hall Juneteenth Kickoff
- June 16: SF Black Wallstreet Gala
- June 17: Juneteenth SF Freedom Celebration in the Fillmore
- June 18: San Francisco Juneteenth Weekend at Gilman Park
Save These Dates for Future Pop-Ups on the Plaza Events
Support Bay Area Black food entrepreneurs at these upcoming events in the series:
- Saturday, September 23: Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Fall Kickoff
- Saturday, December 9: Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Black Holiday Market
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Eating & Drinking, In Person, Juneteenth, Kids & Families, Other, Outdoors