“Sweet Ride”: Bike-Inspired Art Show & Jewelry DIY | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Cesar Chavez Student Art Gallery (SFSU) | 1650 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
“Sweet Ride” showcases the vibrant urban biking culture in the San Francisco Bay Area through a collection of photographs, film, interactive art pieces, and installation work.
Featuring non-profit and volunteer organizations, as well as small businesses driven by passionate entrepreneurs, “Sweet Ride” tells the story of what it means to be part of the cycling lifestyle, community, and advocacy that is prominent throughout the Bay Area.
Art Reception Schedule
- 5 – 9 pm: “Map Your Route”: An interactive bike map created by David Prigge (SFSU grad student and Map Librarian, Dept of Geography and Environment). Installation will remain up for the duration of the exhibit.
- 5 – 7 pm: “DIY Bike Jewelry”: An interactive art workstation with La Loba Loca, re-purposing found bike materials into functional art.
- 5 – 9 pm: “Bike Mixer”: Pedal your way to a berry, vegan smoothie with a bike powered blender.
- 6:30 – 7:15 pm: “Bicycling’s Defiant Celebration: An Irresistible Invitation”: Talk and discussion with Chris Carlsson, co-founder of Critical Mass in 1992, and speaker for Ted Talks in 2011.
- 8 – 8:45 pm: “Navigating the Streets: A Talk on Bikes, Gender, D.I.Y. culture, race”: Talk and discussion with La Loba Loca, member of Masociclistas and Multicultural Communities for Mobility in Los Angeles and Reproductive Justice advocate.
Two bikes will be raffled away at the show: a brand new, revolutionized, foldable, Doppelganger bike exclusively from Japan and an entirely refurbished, remade bike for the green conscious rider created by SF Yellow Bike. Winner must be present at drawing to win. Winners announced at the reception; drawing will be held at 7:30 pm.
Exhibit will be on display through April 25, 2014.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, San Francisco