Home » **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Free Museum Day, FunCheap Presents, Geek Event, Lectures & Workshops, Monthly Top 10 Preview - March, San Francisco
2014 San Francisco History Expo: Sunday | Old Mint
Explore the amazing history of the city we love at the annual San Francisco History Expo on March 1-2, 2014 at The Old Mint.
Over 50 local history groups, genealogists, small museums, and libraries will create “mini-museums” and exhibits showcasing San Francisco’s unique history.
Explore the history of San Francisco’s distinctive neighborhoods through oral histories, artifacts and photographs. See films and presentations by noted experts and local storytellers ranging from old footage of the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge, famous LGBT San Francisco sites, old postcards from the 1915 expo, magic lantern slides, historic San Francisco restaurants and diners, the history of the Presidio, and tons more.
4th Annual San Francisco History Expo
- Saturday, March 1, 2014 | 11 am-5 pm
- Sunday, March 2, 2014 | 11 am-4 pm
Old Mint, 88 Fifth Street at Mission, SF
$5, but no one turned away due to lack of funds
- Connect with historical associations from all over SF: Visitacion Valley, the Tenderloin, the Western neighborhoods, Potrero Hill, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, and more
- See historical films, artifacts, postcards, and exhibits
- Participate in a Treasure Hunt sponsored by Treasure Island Museum
Film & Presentation Schedule
Saturday, March 1, 2014
- 12 pm - Modern Women in the Military: History in the Making
- 1 pm - Victor Arnautoff, San Francisco’s Master Muralist of the 1930s
- 2 pm – Ron Ross - San Francisco Through 100-year-old Magic Lantern Slides
- 3 pm - On the Ropes: Political Ideology and the WPA at Treasure Island
Sunday, March 2, 2014
- 12 pm - The Presidio of San Francisco – National Historic Landmark: What’s Worth All the Controversy?
- 1 pm - Angel Island Immigration and the 1906 Earthquake and Fire
- 2 pm - From the Heart of the Mission to the Ocean, the Ill-Fated Ocean Shore Railroad
- 3 pm - Lost and Found – Searching for LGBT Historic Sites in San Francisco
Ongoing (in the vaults downstairs)
- Archival footage of the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition, the Golden Gate International Exposition and the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and Bay Bridge. Screenings every hour on the hour.
- San Francisco Media Archive - Continuous screenings from the archive
- Treasure Island Museum - Historic films of the GGIE and Treasure Island and the premiere of the Treasure Island Oral Story Project
- U.S.S. Hornet Museum
*No one turned away due to lack of funds
Categories: **Annual Event**
, *Top Pick*
, Free Museum Day
, FunCheap Presents
, Geek Event
, Lectures & Workshops
, Monthly Top 10 Preview - March
, San Francisco
Address: 88 5th St., San Francisco, 94103
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap