2017 Peace Lantern Ceremony
Free materials will be provided to create lanterns, which will then be sent out into the water at sunset during a formal ceremony. There will also be a reading of a message sent by the mayor of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, along with a musical performance, and an informational display about nuclear arms.
Japanese Peace Lantern Ceremony
Saturday, August 5, 2017 | 6:30 pm
Aquatic Park, Berkeley
FREE, but donations are gladly accepted. Registration is optional, but it gives them an idea how many people to expect.
- 1-6:30 pm: Set up > Volunteers needed
- 6:30–8 pm — Decorating shades for floating peace lanterns & view information display about nuclear arms
- 7–8 pm — Ceremony:
- Hibakusha, survivors of the Japanese atomic bombings
- Music by Heiwa (Peace) Taiko
- Messages from the mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- 8-9 pm: Floating of the Lanterns
- 9–10:30 pm: Breakdown > Volunteers needed
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap