40+ Ways to Join SF’s “Climate Action Month”
Join the San Francisco community for a variety of events, activities, and workshops during the third annual Climate Action Month. Explore virtual opportunities (and a few Covid-safe outdoor events) that support and celebrate our environment, our families, and our communities.
Stay Connected w/ The San Francisco Department of the Environment
Stay up to date on climate action opportunities, news, and events in San Francisco.
– Sign up for the SF Department of the Environment newsletter
Thanks to the SF Department of the Environment for their sponsorship and generous support of Funcheap
There are so many options to choose from and best of all, over 40 of these activities, workshops and events are FREE. Join an event, give or get support, read, watch, or listen. Many of these activities are family friendly, and all are inspiring and empowering.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- April 10: Healthy Home Workshop
- April 17: Climate Change, The Top 10 Things You Should Know in San Francisco
- April 22: SF Youth Climate Summit
- April 22: Everything You Should Know About Home Energy in 30 Minutes
- April 24: Edible Food Recovery During COVID-19
- April 29: After Dark Online: Forever Chemicals
How to set up a healthy home in San Francisco
On April 10, the SF Department of the Environment will hold a free online workshop and provide tips to having a healthy home. Learn more about factors contributing to indoor air pollution, safer cleaning and disinfection alternatives and methods and managing pests without using poisonous products.
Top 10 things to know in San Francisco about climate change
On April 17, Cyndy Comerford, Climate Program Manager at the San Francisco Department of the Environment, will provide a presentation on how climate change will affect our local communities, especially the most vulnerable, and the solutions available to address these near and long-term impacts. Comerford also provides an update on the City of San Francisco’s Climate Action Plan and details how you can get involved.
Want to help others with food insecurity challenges?
Join the SF Department of the Environment on April 24 along with a panel of amazing organizations who are recovering edible food for people in the community who need it most. Learn how you can be part of the solution, so that food is not wasted and helps those most in need.
Youth and Family Activities
SF Environment provides free year-round environmental education programs and curriculum to all PK-12 public and independent schools in San Francisco. Connect children with nature using educational resources, games, and activities.
Discover SF’s Pollinator & Native Plant Gardens
San Francisco is located in a global biodiversity hotspot. Our city is home to many beautiful parks, natural areas, and an astounding diversity of birds, rare and endangered species, and over 500 native plants. Connecting to nature is critically important for social, emotional and physical health.
Give Support, Get Support
During the pandemic, our vulnerable communities and local businesses need our help most. Support, donate, or volunteer with an organization in need.
- Support SF Green Businesses
- Donate to COVID-19 Response & Recovery Fund (SFGov)
- Volunteer & Donate (SFGov)
- Zero Interest Business Microloan for Energy-Saving Upgrades (BayREN/Mission Asset Fund)
Take Action Everyday
Tips, tricks, and resources to live healthier, save money, and support the environment every day.
Restore & Connect with Nature
- Discover wild places in your neighborhood
- Grow local native plants at home
- Try out the San Francisco Plant Finder
- Help Protect our Pollinators
- Learn about nature in San Francisco
Waste Nothing, Live Healthier
- Reduce your waste
- Learn what goes where (SFRecycles)
- Use safer disinfectants during the pandemic
- Cook, store food, and shop sustainably
- 13 tips for creating a healthy home
- Safely dispose of toxic household products
- Learn about street safety with SF Bicycle Coalition
- Get around sustainably in San Francisco
- Walk or bike down a Slow Street near you (SFMTA)
- Essential Worker Ride Home program
- Stay up to date with Muni’s COVID-19 Core Service Plan (SFMTA)
Save Energy and Money
- Upgrade to 100% renewable energy at home (CleanPowerSF)
- Make your home more energy efficient
- Get rebates to make your home more comfortable and save energy and money (BayREN Home+ Program)
- Get money back on purchases of energy efficient home appliances (PG&E Marketplace)
- Discover the benefits of driving electric
Create a Personal Climate Action Plan
Calculate your carbon footprint and set personal goals by using My Climate Action Plan (MyCAP), a tool created by the Business Council on Climate Change (BC3) in collaboration with Trello and Cool Climate Network.
Read, Watch, Listen
Dive into educational and inspirational books, films, and more. Explore the list of curated recommendations by Department of the Environment staff and our network of partner organizations.
See the full list of recommendations (books, films, TED Talks, etc..)
About the San Francisco Department of the Environment
The San Francisco Department of the Environment provides solutions that advance climate protection and enhance quality of life for all San Franciscans. Learn More | Get Involved | Environmental Jobs & Internships in SF