New Year’s Day Parking Rules in SF | How Not to Get a Ticket
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Francisco |
Celebrate 2014 with a day of free parking throughout the city of San Francisco.
Although parking hazardously is always ticketable and towable – as is parking in a red or blue zone – much of the rest of the city is yours for the parking.
Here’s the Basics:
New Year’s Day: Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Parking meters not enforced citywide (including SF Port Property)
- M-F Street Sweeping not enforced
- Daytime 7-Day Street Sweeping not enforced (except Nighttime & along Market St.)
- Commuter Tow Away not enforced
- Green, Yellow & White zones vary – see below
>> Park at your own risk of getting a ticket: We’ve done our best to review all the rules and lay them out for you, but you’re on your own of course. If you want more clarification, contact SF parking enforcement
New Year’s Day Parking Rules Overview:
Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- M-F Street Sweeping: Not enforced
- Please note that the few streets that have nighttime 7-day street sweeping – like Market Street – may still be enforced
- M-F Residential Permit Parking: Not enforced
- Commuter Towaway: Not enforced
- *Parking Meters: On Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day, parking meters are not enforced either on city property on Port of SF Property. We spoke to SF Port on 12/30/13 and they confirmed Port meters were free on New Year’s Day. Read more at sfport.com
But please note:
- Hazards are always subject to tickets and towing
- Posted 1-2 hour parking time limit areas and Night-Time Seven-Day-a-Week Street Sweeping (such as Market Street) will be enforced.
- Meter customers are advised to check parking meters to verify enforcement time limits and amounts.
- Red Zone: Enforced
- Blue Zone: Enforced (Handicap)
- Green Zone: Enforced (short term parking – usually 10 mins Monday-Saturday, 10 am to 6 pm) But… we called SFMTA and they told us the Green Zone was NOT enforced on New Year’s Day, but we have not been able to confirm this 100%
- Yellow Curbs: Commercial loading & unloading parking zones are enforced, but there’s no tow-away. You can still get a ticket. But… we called SFMTA and they told us Yellow Zone parking was NOT enforced on New Year’s Day, but we have not been able to confirm this 100%
- White Zone: Passenger loading zones are enforced (5 minute limit), but only while the business (and some apartment buildings) is open. If the business that paid for the zone (usually the one right in front of the white zone) is closed, it’s free parking. (Beware: some businesses are 24 hours even though they may look closed. Our parking enforcement source recommended that you should find a security guard for the building and ask.)
- Posted 1-2 hour parking limits: Enforced
- 7 Day a Week Nighttime Street Sweeping: This everyday street sweeping such as along Market Street is still enforced even on holidays