San Francisco Fireworks: 4th of July | 2019
Witness the skies sparkle red, white and blue as PIER 39 celebrates Independence Day with a day of fun for the whole family.
Start your day with live entertainment on Entrance Plaza Stage featuring Mustache Harbor – Yacht Rock Explosion from 3 pm to 6 pm. At approximately 9:30pm, look to the sky for the City & County of San Francisco’s spectacular fireworks display.
Events and event activities are weather-permitting and subject to change without notice.
Getting To and From the Fireworks
Extra Late Night Southbound Trains
Caltrain will operate on a Sunday schedule on the Fourth of July and will provide extra capacity after the fireworks ceremony. Special post-fireworks trains will operate from San Francisco to San Jose making all weekend local stops. The last southbound train special will depart at 11:45 pm – or when full – so don’t dawdle.
Alcohol reminder: Open alcoholic beverages are prohibited on trains departing San Francisco beginning at 9pm on special event evenings. But looking at that with a “glass half full” perspective, that means that open alcoholic beverages are allowed on trains before 9pm. Woo hoo! Just don’t be a drunk jerk on the train. Read more under “Board and Ride”.
Getting There (Details from 2018)
Before the show, from 3 to 8:30 p.m., Muni will have extra service to connect people from the Muni Metro Subway, BART, Ferries and Caltrain to both viewing areas.
- Along Van Ness Avenue, from Market Street to the Aquatic Park viewing area.
- Along Market Street, from Van Ness to the Pier 39 viewing area.
- Along The Embarcadero, from the Caltrain Station to the Pier 39 viewing area.
After the show, from 9:15 to 11:30 p.m., Muni will have three shuttles providing express service to Civic Center Station, the Ferry Building and Caltrain. These buses will use transit-only lanes to avoid traffic wherever possible.. View Muni Express Map
Muni Re-Routes & Schedul Changes for 4th of July
Muni Express Service Map
Sunday Schedule, But Longer Trains (Details from 2018)
BART will be running on a Sunday schedule (opening at 8am and providing a three route service unlike the five they run on Saturday) but with longer trains and some extra event trains that evening.
Last BART Trains from SF (Embarcadero)
– 12:05 AM Pittsburg / Bay Point – Bikes OK
– 12:17 AM Dublin / Pleasanton – Bikes OK
– 12:26 AM Pittsburg / Bay Point – Bikes OK
– 12:12 AM Millbrae – Bikes OK
– 12:17 AM Daly City – Bikes OK
– 12:32 AM Millbrae – Bikes OK
– 12:42 AM Daly City – Bikes OK
– 1:02 AM San Francisco Int’l Airport – Bikes OK
Lines NOT running on July 4th (Due to Sunday Schedule)
You’ll need to take either Pittsburg/Bay Point or Dublin/Pleasanton and change trains.
- Daly City to Richmond
- Daly City to Fremont/Warm Springs
They’ll also run longer trains on the Richmond/Warm Springs line from start of service for the A’s game.
If you’re spending the holiday at the Alameda County Fair, please note there is no bus shuttle on July 4th between the Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station and the fairgrounds.
(Details from 2018)
GJEL Accident Attorneys of San Jose have a cool (but old school) program to reimburse you for a free taxi ride home up to $25 on 4th of July. Take any cab to a safe area (i.e. home) from 5pm to 10am the next morning (it can’t be used for bar hopping) – and they’ll reimburse you for making the smart choice and not drinking and driving. The offer is valid in San Francisco, the Bay Area, the Tri-Valley metro area and Sacramento. Read the full reimbursement details.
- Enforced – Parking meters, posted time limit zones and seven day street sweeping will be enforced citywide on the holiday. We know this sucks.
- Not Enforced – Commuter tow away, residential parking permits and Monday-Friday daytime street sweeping will not be enforced.
- Meters on Port of San Francisco property, including The Embarcadero and Fisherman’s Wharf, are enforced seven days per week throughout the year, except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- Hazards are always subject to ticketing and towing.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, 4th of July, Fairs & Festivals, Fireworks, Kids & Families, Live Music, San Francisco, Top Annual Events