The Future of Japantown Focus Group | Japantown
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Japanese American Citizen League | 1765 Sutter St., 1st Floor San Francisco, CA
Free / RSVP
Submitted by the Event Organizer
About this Event
At this Focus group, we will exchange ideas and envision future of Japantown San Francisco. As one of the 6 Key areas Japantown Cultural District is addressing, we will be taking a dive into the subject of “Cultural Competency” for Japantown.
What do you envision the future of Japantown to look like?
We have a precious opportunity to exchange ideas so that we can collectively determine our next steps for implementation toward the bigger vision for Japantown. How can we support our community through “Cultural Competency”? Whether you were able to attend the Town Hall Meetings last year, or not, this focus groups will allow us to take a deeper dive in the most prominent challenges and opportunities in “Cultural Competency”.
San Francisco City & County Definition
1) Promoting culturally competent and culturally appropriate City services and policies that encourage the health and safety of the community, culture, or ethnic groups in Cultural Districts.
2) Promoting and strengthening collaboration between the City and communities to maximize cultural competency and pursue social equity within some of the City’s most vulnerable communities.
3) Promoting cultural competency and education by diversifying our historic narrative on those who have been previously marginalized and misrepresented in dominant narratives.
The Japantown Cultural District
is a community-wide program to collectively envision & develop strategies to sustain Japantown into the future. It is a formalized collaborative partnership between the Japantown Task Force and the City and County of San Francisco to stabilize this historic neighborhood that is at risk of displacement and gentrification. This year 2020, the Japantown Cultural District Team will synthesize all of the community’s input to develop the CHHESS (Cultural History, Housing, and Economic Sustainability Strategy) Report. The CHHESS will be submitted to the Board of Supervisors in late Summer of 2020, and will focus on implementable and prioritized action items. Your ideas are a key component for synthesizing this CHHESS strategy!
The CHHESS will address 6 key areas:
- 1. Cultural Heritage Conservation & Sustainability
- 2. Tenant Protections
- 3. Arts and Culture
- 4. Economic & Workforce Development
- 5. Land Use/ Environmental Resilience
- 6. Cultural Competency
We have an opportunity to voice our common vision, and be heard.
All are welcome! Please also find other focus groups of various topics being offered throughout the month of February. Join us at as many focus groups as you wish.
SF Japantown Cultural District vision is that “San Francisco Japantown will thrive as a culturally rich, authentic, and economically vibrant neighborhood which will serve as the cultural heart of Japanese and Japanese American Communities for generations to come.”
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.