Bay Area Face Mask Rules: Which Counties Have Fines?
Thanks to KRON4 for breaking down which Bay Area counties have instituted fines for face mask violations.
Which Bay Area Counties have Face Mask Fines?
Updated September 17, 2020 – Please note details can change quickly
- Napa County – Fines of $25 to $500 for people who hold gatherings or walk outside without face coverings. Businesses can be fined up to $5,000 for failing to enforce mask and social distancing rules.
- Marin County – Fines for individuals range from $25 to $500. Businesses face penalties from $250 to $10,000.
- Contra Costa County – Individuals can be fined $100 for a first offense, $200 for a second offense and $500 for a third offense. For businesses, fines start at $250 and go up to $1,000
- San Mateo County – Individuals can receive a $100 fine for the first violation, $200 for the second and $500 for additional violations with the same year. Commercial entities risk a minimum fine of $250 and a maximum of $3,000 per violation depending on the gravity of the health risk, prior warnings and any good faith efforts to comply.
- Sonoma County – Fines start at $100 for individuals. Businesses can be fined between $1,000 and $10,000.
- Santa Clara County – Updated 8/11/20 – Individuals could be fined $25 to $500 and businesses could face penalties ranging from $250 to $5,000. There is a grace period of 24-72 hours to allow people facing fines to “correct” the violation.
- Berkeley – Although not a “county,” Berkeley often acts independently of Alameda County. Updated 9/17/20 – Fines of $100 for first-time offenses and up to $500/day for repeat violations. Fines can be waved due to financial hardship.
What about San Francisco? Although the public health order from July 23, 2020 contains a general provision stating that failure to comply with the face mask health order is “is punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both” we are not aware of any specific fines or penalties put in place as of August 7, 2020
- No Mask In Santa Clara County? You Could Be Fined $500 – 8/11/20
- SF Expands Face Mask Rules to Address COVID-19 Surge
- Win a Gorgeous Japanese/Indian Face Mask from SF’s Asian Art Museum
- SF’s New “30-Foot Rule” For Face Masks
- CA Now Requires Face Masks in Most Indoor Spaces
- Bay Area County Requires Face Masks in Public Starting April 17