Where to Swim: East Bay Lakefront Beaches, Pools and Lagoons (Summer 2023)
The 2023 swim season is in full swing, with most East Bay Regional Park District swim facilities and shoreline beaches open daily. Swimming fees vary by facility.
The East Bay Regional Park District swim facilities include six open-water lakefront beaches, three chlorinated lagoons, two pools, and two bay shoreline beaches.
Open for Summer 2023
Beaches are typically tested for bacterial levels weekly from April to October and twice a month from November to March. Please check out the links before before visiting so you can learn more about the current levels.
- Del Valle (Livermore) – $6 parking fee. Open weekdays through August 18. Open Weekends and holidays April 29 to Sept. 17. Lifeguard hours 11a-6p – Del Valle Regional Park offers two swimming beaches with lifeguards on duty during posted periods. Year-round swimming is allowed without lifeguard service north of the boat ramp.
- Lake Temescal (Oakland) – As of 7/7/23 the beach is CLOSED. There is a DANGER advisory for blue-green algae posted.
- Lake Anza (Tilden Regional Park, Berkeley)
- Shadow Cliffs (Pleasanton),
- Quarry Lakes (Niles Beach, Fremont) – As of 7/7/23 the Niles Swim Area is CLOSED due to a Danger Advisory posted for blue-green algae.
- Don Castro Lagoon (Hayward),
- Cull Canyon Lagoon (Castro Valley) – $4 for adults, $2 for kids. No parking fee. Open Daily through August 18, Weekends and holidays from Aug. 19 to Sept. 4. Open 11a-6p (water closes at 5:30p). Located in Cull Canyon Regional Recreation Area, the swim complex, including bathhouse, vending machines and lifeguard service, is open during the warm weather season. It is ideal for families with small children, who will enjoy splashing in the shallows and playing on the white, sandy beach of the chlorinated swim lagoon. Swimming is allowed only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Castle Rock Pool (Walnut Creek) – $4 for adults, $2 for kids. No parking fee. Swim hours 11a-6p. Open all weekends and holidays through September 4, 2023 – Also open Thursdays and Fridays June 8-Aug. 18, 2023 – Located in Castle Rock Regional Recreation Area adjacent to Diablo Foothills Regional Park, the Castle Rock pool complex features a 30 feet by 70 feet chlorinated swimming pool and deck areas. In addition, the complex is fully accessible to individuals with disabilities, including the bathhouse and an accessible lift into the pool. Swimming is allowed only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Crown Beach (Alameda) – No lifeguards – No beach access fees, $5 parking fee (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
Closed for Summer 2023
- Contra Loma Lagoon (Antioch) is closed due to required safety repairs and maintenance.
Opening Later This Summer
- Roberts Pool (Oakland), which is closed due to new pool facility construction, is expected to reopen sometime this summer.
Open status may change due to water quality conditions. Be sure to check facility status and hours before you go at www.ebparks.org/swimming.