2019 Leap Sandcastle Classic: NorCal’s Biggest Sandcastle Comp. | Ocean Beach
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Ocean Beach (Balboa) | Great Highway and Balboa, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Take part in Northern California’s largest sandcastle building event which features a spirited competition between teams of architects, engineers, contractors, designers and local elementary school students at Ocean Beach on Saturday, October 26, 2019.
The theme for the 37th annual Leap Sandcastle Contest is “Let’s Play.”
There’s also a community castle for everyone to join in to build.
Leap’s 37th Annual Sandcastle Classic
Saturday, October 26, 2019 | 11:00 am to 3:30 pm
Ocean Beach, Balboa Street and Great Highway, SF (just below the Cliff House)
FREE with RSVP on Eventbrite or Facebook
RSVP online to get entered into a free raffle to win a prize on the beach.
The organizers say the event occurs rain or shine – but it’s always best to check their site just in case.
This unique sandcastle competition, nonprofit fundraiser, and community event brings over 3,000 people to San Francisco’s Ocean Beach every year to build super-sized sand sculptures with local students.
- 8 am: Teams can arrive at Ocean Beach anytime after 8am, to start loading in materials to their sites
- 10 am: Teams are permitted to start prepping their 20′ x 20′ building sites by raking and leveling, if they choose.
Students/teachers/parents from partner schools arrive at Ocean Beach.
- 11 am: Sandcastle building & stage performances begin
- 11:45 pm: Student representatives introduce their castles (Sites 14-26)
- 12:20 pm: Judges do first pass of castle sites
- 12:40 pm: 1st raffle pull on Sandcastle Stage
- 12:45 pm: More Sandcastle Stage performances
- 1:30 pm: Leap kids introduce their castles (Sites 1-13).
Judges do second pass of castle sites
- 2:10 pm: More Sandcastle Stage performances
- 2:30 pm: Sandcastle building ends
- 3 pm: Awards ceremony on Sandcastle Stage
Raffle grand prize is announced.
- 3:30 pm: Event ends. Thank you for coming.