2020 Leap Sandcastle Classic: NorCal’s Biggest Sandcastle Comp. | Ocean Beach
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Ocean Beach (Balboa) | Great Highway and Balboa, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Take part in Northern California’s largest sandcastle building event which features a spirited competition between teams of architects, engineers, contractors, designers and local elementary school students at Ocean Beach on Saturday, October 24, 2020
There’s also a community castle for everyone to join in to build.
Leap’s 38th Annual Sandcastle Classic
Saturday, October 24, 2020 | 11 am to 3:30 pm
Ocean Beach, Balboa Street and Great Highway, SF (just below the Cliff House)
FREE with RSVP
Please note that we’ve confirmed the 2020 date, but event details are still not available as of 3/19/20. For an idea of what to expect, here’s what happened in 2019. See Details Below.
The organizers say the event occurs rain or shine – but it’s always best to check their site just in case. This unique sandcastle competition, nonprofit fundraiser, and community event brings over 3,000 people to San Francisco’s Ocean Beach every year to build super-sized sand sculptures with local students.
- 8 am: Teams can arrive at Ocean Beach anytime after 8am, to start loading in materials to their sites
- 10 am: Teams are permitted to start prepping their 20′ x 20′ building sites by raking and leveling, if they choose. Students/teachers/parents from partner schools arrive at Ocean Beach.
- 11 am: Sandcastle building & stage performances begin
- 11:45 pm: Student representatives introduce their castles (Sites 14-26)
- 12:20 pm: Judges do first pass of castle sites
- 12:40 pm: 1st raffle pull on Sandcastle Stage
- 12:45 pm: More Sandcastle Stage performances
- 1:30 pm: Leap kids introduce their castles (Sites 1-13). Judges do second pass of castle sites
- 2:10 pm: More Sandcastle Stage performances
- 2:30 pm: Sandcastle building ends
- 3 pm: Awards ceremony on Sandcastle Stage Raffle grand prize is announced.
- 3:30 pm: Event ends. Thank you for coming.